cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 insurance is a money making scheme for them !! Never use it!!

08tray08
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Three months ago I upgraded my phone with o2 under a 3 year contract for an iPhone 15 (green). At the time I also took out the insurance that o2 offered.

Last week I dropped my phone and it made a small crack in the top right hand corner of the screen. I called o2 insurance and enquired about how much it would cost for my screen to be repaired. I was told that the fee would cost £40 for repair and £70 for replacement. I specifically said I only wanted repair, my phone was working excellently and I wanted to keep my phone and just have the screen repaired.

The next day my phone was collected and three working days later I received a phone back in the post. To my surprise this wasn’t my phone, it was a black version of my phone. As you can imagine I was very surprised with this following my conversation with the member of staff from o2 insurance.

In addition to the above, after taking this refurbished phone into the Apple Store to look into it further, apple staff were able to inform me that this phone was first in use 6 months prior to me purchasing my original iPhone 15 in green.

I called o2 to make a complaint to be met with “there is nothing we can do”. I was beyond unimpressed.  Not only had I been mislead by o2 insurance, I now have to repay the remaining 33 months of my contract for a second had, older phone of lesser value which has the potential to be faulty.

I feel like I have been conned by o2, they have taken my phone of higher value and sent me an older one, clearly for their financial benefit. And I have also had to pay a £40 fee, have been left with a bitter taste in my mouth and am frustrated beyond belief.

If any one is considering taking out insurance with o2 I hope you read this and DO NOT DO IT.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38203 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1729 Solutions

@08tray08 - it is what you signed up to when you took out the policy:  https://www.o2.co.uk/documents/456036/11015457/7829_O2POLWDC_Mobile_O2_Insure-Damage+cover_148x210mm...

Section A – Cover for Accidental Damage

• If Your Equipment is Accidentally Damaged anywhere in the world during the Term of Cover, We will at Our discretion either:
  • (a)
    Repair Your Equipment; or
  • (b)
    Replace Your Equipment with a product of the same or a similar specification, as determined by Us. Replacement Equipment might be a different colour or model from a different manufacturer. It may be new, re-furbished, re-manufactured or re-packaged by a repair centre approved by Us; Deliveries can only be made to a UK address...

---

Complaints

We are dedicated to providing You with a high quality service, and want to maintain this at all times. If You feel that We have not offered You a first class service or You wish to make an enquiry regarding a Claim made on Your policy, please contact 02 on +44 (0) 344 809 0202 free of charge from an 02 Phone or at UK national rate from a landline, email us at: O2customer.supportuk@likewize.com or write to us at:

O2 Customer Relations Manager, Likewize, Unit 1, Crewe Logistics Park, Jack Mills Way, Shavington, Crewe, Cheshire CW2 5XF United Kingdom clearly stating Your name, address, phone number and policy number.

If You remain dissatisfied with Our response, You can approach the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) for assistance.

The FOS website can be found at www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk

The FOS contact details are FOS, Exchange Tower, London E14 9SR.

Phone: 0800 023 4 567

Email: complaint.info@financial-ombudsman.org.uk

Message 2 of 8

08tray08
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Once again, a very unhelpful response by yourselves. No ownership of how I had been mislead to believe MY phone would be REPAIRED by your staff on the phone. What a con you are.

for any one reading this - NEVER TAKE OUT PHONE INSURANCE WITH THIS COMPANY!!! PURE SCAM 

Message 3 of 8

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7775 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 1641 Solutions

@08tray08 You do realise this is not O2 and that @pgn was simply pointing out the terms and conditions everyone reads prior to signing up, of course.

Not much we can do here about your dilemma

But thanks for warning people 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 8

pgn
  • 38203 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1729 Solutions

@08tray08 wrote:

Once again, a very unhelpful response by yourselves.   

You do realise, @08tray08, that contained in the answer above were the ways to complain about the service you received, as well as the terms of the insurance related to handset repairs that you read and agreed to when you bought the service?

Caveat emptor.

And, as @Enlli points out above, we are customers in this forum, looking to share any experience by way of helping those who land up here thinking they are addressing O2.

Message 5 of 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93898 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7017 Solutions

I can quite understand how @08tray08 feels upset

Possibly I would in the same situation

However, this is how most mobile phone insurance companies work

Live and learn.....read the policy!

Message 6 of 8

08tray08
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It seems to be that o2’s “discretion” will always equate to them misleading their customer, leaving them out of pocket by o2 keeping the newer and more efficient phones they receive and sending back older models

Crafty and ultimately a scam

Message 7 of 8

pgn
  • 38203 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1729 Solutions

@08tray08 wrote:

It seems to be that o2’s “discretion” will always equate to them misleading their customer, leaving them out of pocket by o2 keeping the newer and more efficient phones they receive and sending back older models

Crafty and ultimately a scam

Actually, from VMO2's perspective, it makes perfect business sense, @08tray08 - capitalism and all that.

Have you hired a car recently? thinking

Message 8 of 8