Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android User - Please Read

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions

If you’ve got an Android, you need to keep ‘em peeled, because there’s a text doing the rounds that could wipe your phone, and cause all manner of problems.

The text has a link to an APK (Android Application Package) which, if you install it, gives nasty people the chance to have the rights to your phone, accessing all your personal things and allowing them to brick it if they want. Obviously, you shouldn’t ever download anything that’s sent to you in a text, unless it is a photo or something from a friend.

This is serious though. This malware would allow hackers to see your verification codes and the like, which gives them access to your bank account and other things.

It looks like this.

Short version – if you see this arrive on your phone, delete it immediately.

The text was spotted by Heimdal Security Blog, and it says: “You have received a multimedia message from +[country code] [sender number] Follow the link http:www.mmsforyou [.] Net /mms.apk to view the message.”

It installs Tor on your phone, unpacks and runs it, and then connect to a server, which then sends a message that says “Thank you”. Then, the baddies can go to work.

If you want to stop this, go to Settings > Security and make sure the Unknown Sources option is switched off. That’ll stop you from downloading apps that aren’t from the Google Play store. You should also install some anti-virus apps on your Android – the best of which you can find here.
Original Article

Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Warning one.
Sorry, installation of this application is blocked on your device, to install you must change your settings.

At this point 90% of people will say stuff this for a game of soldiers. But for the 10% who actually go against the warning and change a system setting...

Warning two.
This application requires the following permissions.

Wait what, why is there an app at all?
Another 9% will now click cancel

Warning three
Xx app has now been installed.

These are the stupid people, the ones who we will read about in the sun or on watchdog because a BBC tech correspondent doesn't know his elbow from his London football club minus the nal.
If people are that stupid they would turn off androids security to install an app from a text message from a number they don't know, then it's tough and in reality is the equivalent of a cyber version of darwinism.
Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Warning one.
Sorry, installation of this application is blocked on your device, to install you must change your settings.

At this point 90% of people will say stuff this for a game of soldiers. But for the 10% who actually go against the warning and change a system setting...

Warning two.
This application requires the following permissions.

Wait what, why is there an app at all?
Another 9% will now click cancel

Warning three
Xx app has now been installed.

These are the stupid people, the ones who we will read about in the sun or on watchdog because a BBC tech correspondent doesn't know his elbow from his London football club minus the nal.
If people are that stupid they would turn off androids security to install an app from a text message from a number they don't know, then it's tough and in reality is the equivalent of a cyber version of darwinism.
Message 2 of 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

I have to agree. Anyone stupid enough to follow instructions in a text message has no right to own a smartphone and should be living in a dark cave somewhere in Outer Mongolia. Dumb doesn't even cover it to be honest.

Message 3 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23190 Posts
  • 1028 Topics
  • 3688 Solutions

Install Applications From Unknown Sources is turned OFF by default. If you're stupid enough to allow it after clicking on a link in a text message from someone you don't know, you deserve to get hacked.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123306 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Thank you @viridis for your extremely informative explanation. I admit to being a tech 'dumbo' at times ...but even I would not install anything from a text. In fact if I had a text from an unrecognised source it would be deleted immediately. I may be a dumbo. I hope I am not that stupid....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

"So in order to get infected:

1) you get a random dodgy looking text from a random number.
2) You then have to tap on the dodgy looking link
3) it then pops up showing it's downloading something dodgy
4) then (assuming install applications from unknown sources is turned on which it isn't by default)
5) you then get the app install screen pop up for a program that's already installed
6) You then click on install on that *and then* you will have officially been hacked

If you do this I'd recommend handing your phone in to the nearest police station and requesting sterilisation from the human race. Literally too stupid to use a phone."

Message 6 of 8

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions

oh i totally agree guys, just thought I'd share the article 😮

Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 7 of 8

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Curr946,

I think its great that you've decided to post this as a warning to anyone who potentially does it. The number of those people might be low, but if this helps one person, it was more than worth it slight_smile

Well done.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 8 of 8