cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pro-rata con

Anonymous
Not applicable

Took a sim only contract with O2 two days ago with minutes to call, but found out today that they control how much you use under "pro-rata basis" ended up being charged for those calls.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146925 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28262 Solutions
It's normal - as you only pay for around 2 days of the first month you only get 2 days worth of allowances.
No con, just common sense - You can't pay 2 days and get 30 days allowances, can you ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

MI5
  • 146925 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28262 Solutions
It's normal - as you only pay for around 2 days of the first month you only get 2 days worth of allowances.
No con, just common sense - You can't pay 2 days and get 30 days allowances, can you ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 17

jonsie
  • 93267 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

It's not a con. On your first bill you are charged for the first couple of days connection until the billing date and then one month in advance. Payment date always 2 weeks after the billing date.

Your allowances will be split during the initial few days so allowances will be devided by 30 days times the number of days until the bill is produced.

Message 3 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
How many times do we hear this !

Poor communication or excitement over a new contract etc play a part.

Perhaps things like this can be highlighted online or in shops better so customers know the score. slight_smile
Message 4 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Would it not be easier and now simple and straight forward for the customer for the billing date to be the same as the contract start date? Then there wouldn't be any pro rata issues or confused customers.

I am sure if the OP approaches customer services they will as a gesture of goodwill credit call charges that would have come out of allowances normally given this is the first month.

Please do let us know how you get on.
Message 5 of 17

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

You should always read a contract before you sign it. Drum

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 6 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
anticpated said "You should always read a contract before you sign it. "

I believe When a person is caught up in the buying experience and is concentrating on the contract cost and nice new shiny phone it can be easy to miss things in the small print.

That and the salesperson just wants you to sign up and leave after they've got you to sign on the dotted line.

Sometimes companies T&C need a retail lawyer to decipher them ! wink
Message 7 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 124199 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

I think the clue to this is when you are signing up for a new contract you do tend to overlook some T&C's sadly.

Pro-rata as we know, means 'In proportion to'....

However,  its funny that we never make that mistake when viewing it in terms of salary wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 17

jonsie
  • 93267 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

I can understand how people may not be fully aware of the first few days of signing up for a contract. It's the use of the word 'con' that is an issue for me. Just because people don't comprehend the meaning of pro-rata they tend to label it as such.

Message 9 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 124199 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I can understand how people may not be fully aware of the first few days of signing up for a contract. It's the use of the word 'con' that is an issue for me. Just because people don't comprehend the meaning of pro-rata they tend to label it as such.

Exactly @jonsie ...and here was me 'adding the meaning of pro rata'...just to try and be subtle...

However, you my friend, have hit the nail on the headLOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 17