Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ios My Number is Wrong So Cannot iMessage/Facetime

Macintosh
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I recently ported to O2 from Vodafone and have had a few issues but one is persistent - iMessage and Facetime includes only the temporary number O2 allocated to me which is shown in the ios Phone Settings "My Number".  I have tried multiple times to change "My Number" (including after restarts, flight mode, etc.) but it doesn't seem to accept it - it immediately reverts back to the temporary number.  This means I cannot use iMessage with anyone who has my number.

Any advice would be very  helpful!

Thank you

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3006 Solutions

@Macintosh 

You are best speaking to apple direct, as they can help in changing the number, https://support.apple.com/en-gb/ 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Macintosh 

You can ask O2 for a new blank sim and do a sim swap to activate it with your number so the phone isn;t reading the wrong number from the sim.

Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 5

Macintosh
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you - I guess it could be reading the temporary number from the SIM - I'll ask O2 and see if they will do this.

Thanks

Message 4 of 5

Macintosh
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Someone else suggested removing the SIM tray (while the phone is switched on) for a few seconds and then turning off imessage and facetime and then turning them back on again - I tried this and the temporary number still came up. However, I then clicked on the temporary number and it asked if I wanted to remove it so I clicked yes and then my correct number appeared.

Thanks for everyone's help

Message 5 of 5