cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS 9 Beta 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

So, I installed iOS 9 Beta 2 last night. I had originally installed the first beta, but reverted back to iOS 8.4 as I couldn't cope with the ridiculous battery life!

I'm happy to report that the battery life in iOS 9 Beta 2 is MUCH better. There are a few more new features too:

1. iOS will now temporarily delete apps to make room for the firmware upgrade. So, if you're running low on space, the phone will be able to remove a few apps, and then restore them once the new firmware is up and running.

2. There is now a 'News' toggle in the iCloud settings, although there is no News App yet. I'd presume that this would be included in Beta 3.

3. The Search function is much better, and now pulls information from a wide variety of sources and third party apps. You also have the option to toggle apps on/off in the search settings menu.

4. The Podcast Logo has been tweaked slightly (wow!).

5. The description for low power mode has been tweaked slightly (it still does the same thing, though).

6. Handoff has now appeared in the multitasking view. Basically, if you're doing something on your iPad/Macbook/iPhone etc. and want to continue where you left off on another device, this is how you do it. The Handoff tab appears as the first option in the multitasking view.

I've not had much chance to have a proper play with the phone yet, but what seems most striking between this and the first beta is the battery performance which I'm very pleased about! slight_smile  

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Again, if anyone wants to give Beta 2 a try (properly, and not via some workaround!), let me know your device UDID and I'll add you to my devices list on my dev account slight_smile

Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

One little quirk I have just noticed:

The inbuilt Mail App always says that you have one more unread message than you actually do (ie. says you have 2 unread when you have 1, 3 when you have 2 etc.)

Luckily it doesn't say you have 1 unread message when you have 0 - that would drive me crazy!

Battery is still on 100% too, and it's been 1hr 25mins since it was fully charged. If I was still on Beta 1 it would be on about 90% by now..

Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for this @Anonymous very informative & useful, I like how you say that the battery has improved & the fact that you will be able to temp delete apps will be very useful,after the storage issue with iOS 8n& it will make a nice little feature
Message 4 of 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Thanks for the update. It's good to know the battery life is now Ok as they claim a big improvement is one of the big benefits of the new ios when it's finally released to the masses. 

Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for this @Anonymous very informative & useful, I like how you say that the battery has improved & the fact that you will be able to temp delete apps will be very useful,after the storage issue with iOS 8n& it will make a nice little feature

The battery issue no longer exists now, as far as I can make out. My 6 Plus is on 97% and it's been off charge for 4hr 35mins. This is on a par (if not better) than it was when I was on iOS 8.4, which is in line with Apple's claims that they've improved the battery life with iOS 9.

The fact that the OS will temporarily delete apps to make room for updates is a great idea, especially after the iOS 8 nightmare!

Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's a very good improvement then, have you used the phone much while off charge?
Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for this informative post @Anonymous Do you know anyone else that has installed iOS 9 Beta 2? If so you could invite them to the community to share also their experiences in your thread.
Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been using it off charge since 6am this morning. I've been travelling with work, so have been on my work email a lot. That, along with the regular use (Internet, SMS, Twitter etc.) has dropped my battery down to 80% which I'm very happy with seeing as I've been using the phone virtually the whole time.
Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous Sadly none of my iPhone using friends are as geeky as me and are all still on 8.3. They'll only update their phones when the phone tells them to..!
Message 10 of 12