cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS 9 Beta 1

Anonymous
Not applicable
So iOS 9 was announced at WWDC 2015 earlier today. The beta was released to developers today with the full release in the autumn.

So, I've installed the beta on my iPad Air 2. Here are some of the things I've noticed so far. Bear in mind I've only had it on the iPad for an hour or so. I'll update as I find more out:

A 6 digit passcode is asked for in addition to TouchID.
There is a search bar in Settings!! 👍
Newstand has been removed.
The new News app is missing at the moment.
Mutlitasking works well in landscape.
Spotlight is updated.
There is now a iCloud Drive app.

Will continue to update as I find more.
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi @Anonymous, I've just noticed from Apple's website that iOS 9 is a smaller download this time (i.e only 1.3GB, compared with 4.5GB on iOS 8), and that it's supposedly faster and more responsive. How are you finding it in practice?

The ipsw files were 2.1GB for the iPad and 2.3GB for the iPhone. I don't know how this is reflected real world as I can't do OTA's with the beta

Message 11 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

@Gavs3r wrote:

Is this optional?

Not if TouchID is enabled. However, it only asks for it when TouchID fails.

Message 12 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

This works well. I tried it with a new Apple apps last night. I'm going to try the picture in app feature a bit later, see how that goes.

@Cleoriff wrote:

Thanks for the heads up @Anonymous As no-one had mentioned much about yesterdays event I was just having a look to see if there was anything interesting...

One article said iOS 9 had made the iPad more work friendly?

http://gizmodo.com/ios-9-just-made-the-ipad-more-work-friendly-with-multit-1709861677

Mind you...was reading something else that used the headline "Everything Apple Tried To Kill Today":smileywink:http://gizmodo.com/everything-apple-tried-to-kill-today-at-wwdc-2015-1709786772

Message 13 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Toby wrote:

Great idea for a discussion @Anonymous and let us know how you get on after using it for a little while. Any news on if the Game-Centre is changing?

Game centre hasn't changed so far Smiley Indifferent

Message 14 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just installed the beta on my 6 plus. There is a option to revert back to a 4 digit passcode. There is also an unlimited number and letter option as well.

@Gavs3r wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

@Gavs3r wrote:

Is this optional?

Not if TouchID is enabled. However, it only asks for it when TouchID fails.

Message 15 of 22

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93984 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

I read today that it will extend iPhone battery life by 4 hours. Under what conditions I'm not sure?  Be interested in your findings @Anonymous

Message 16 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

I couldn't possibly comment on the battery life at the moment as my iPad is only used occasionally.

However, the beta on my iPhone did reveal an power save option which shuts things down such as push email etc. It is hidden within the settings menu though. I would like to see it in the control centre.

Speaking of the beta: I have removed it from my iPhone for the time being as there is a bug which demands your AppleID and password everytime you download an app from the App Store. I think I can live with it on my iPad though.

@jonsie wrote:

I read today that it will extend iPhone battery life by 4 hours. Under what conditions I'm not sure?  Be interested in your findings @Anonymous

Message 17 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think from what you say I might have a bash with trying the beta on my iPad like you I don't use it so much but any bugs on my iPhone and I'd be getting stressed out too much.
Message 18 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

I downloaded iOS 9 for my 6 Plus and iPad (4th Gen) on Monday night.

I can't comment on the iPad beta yet, but I can offer a few comments on the iPhone one:

1. It munches through the battery (although it IS a beta, so this could be expected).
2. A lot of apps don't support iOS 9, so won't update (they stay greyed out and are unusable).
3. The App Store username/password bug is a nightmare. You have to re-enter your details every time you install an app (I restored my iPhone as a new phone and re-installed all of my apps, so you can imagine how many times I had to re-enter my information!).
4. The new font (to my eyes) doesn't look anywhere near as polished.
5. The install size is MUCH smaller. I freed up approximately 2GB of space on my iPhone compared to iOS 8.4

6. Transit directions in Apple Maps is VERY limited location-wise at the moment, although I would imagine that this would improve over time.

7. SIRI is still crap compared to Cortana.

8. The Low Power Mode is limited in function - ie. it's either switched ON or OFF. There is no way currently to schedule when it is automatically activated (as there is with many Android phones).

I've now rolled back to iOS 8.4 beta 4 which is much more stable. I'll give iOS 9 another go when beta 2 or 3 is released..

Message 19 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
If I do get round to it I'll certainly not use my iPhone thanks
Message 20 of 22