cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

So tomorrow is the big day - windows 10 rolls out!

Microsoft will release it at midnight ET - which is 5am BST.

However, don't expect to get it tomorrow - Microsoft are carefully managing the updates as obviously the demand will be huge - I, like others have 'reserved' my upgrade via the little app they popped onto my laptop.

Another interesting aspect of Windows 10 is that this is the way the updates are applied has changed. Updates will happen on a regular basis and for most users of windows 10 are mandatory, the idea being Microsoft want all users on all devices running the same software.

Having read some reviews I am quite excited by the update - I suppose time will tell if there are some hidden technical issue timebombs!

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23191 Posts
  • 1028 Topics
  • 3688 Solutions

I never went near Windows 8 because of all the negative reviews I'd read. I'm hoping Windows 10 will be more akin to Windows 7.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 11 of 27

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

I'm quite looking forward to it. Whilst I love windows 7 now, the transition from vista took some getting used to. I too stayed well away from windows 8 but I have more confidence in this.

Message 12 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bambino wrote:

I never went near Windows 8 because of all the negative reviews I'd read. I'm hoping Windows 10 will be more akin to Windows 7.

Windows 8 did receive a lot of negative feedback, and in my opinion it was undeserved - I loved windows 8 and it only got better once 8.1 arrived. I think all the negativity arose from the the huge stepchange in design windows 8 was - this was always going to be an issue for people.

I bought a new laptop when I started my degree with the OU - it came with windows 8 and it hasn't caused me any problems, and I use it daily for my university work.

I for one am looking forward to windows 10!

Message 13 of 27

Cleoriff
  • 123322 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

It's all down to what you are used to and whether you feel it needs changing. We bought a family member a new laptop for his birthday. It came with Windows 8. He took to it like the proverbial duck to water...and has certainly hammered it studying for his GCSE's

He has used many Windows OS as we have supplied him with computers since he first started using them and my husband built them for him.....that said, being so much younger he willingly accepts any change...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 27

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Wouldn't life be boring if everything stayed the same....its surprising how well the human brain adapts to change ☺

Message 15 of 27

Cleoriff
  • 123322 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Wouldn't life be boring if everything stayed the same....its surprising how well the human brain adapts to change ☺

I agree ...to some extent and with some technology. I am more comfortable though with medical technology advancements...I actually embrace that .....which shows that it really is a matter of personal choice..:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 27

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Technology evolves at such a rapid rate. Think back 40 or 50 years (some of us can!) and look at everything from cars, air travel, phones, shopping outlets, TV when there was only 2 channels which closed at 11pm with the national anthem, computers unheard of, games were played outside weather permitting. ...happy days no doubt for everyone of a certain age. But due to man's endless creativity and desire to advance, our lives have been enrichened in so many ways. Will Windows 10 enrich our existence. ...time will tell.

Message 17 of 27

Cleoriff
  • 123322 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

And we were nursing people in iron lungs after the dreaded polio outbreak and raging TB. Look at us now...:smileywink:

I digress.....but just saying I am not a stick in the mud with developments...... I do embrace them all...I just wont use them all....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 27

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Message 19 of 27

blissgirl
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 7481 Posts
  • 46 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
I resvered my upgrade on this laptop that has windows 8.1 not sure weather to install or not
iPhone 15 plus 128Gb light pink & Apple watch series 9 pink (Celluar all with Vodafone slight_smile
Message 20 of 27