Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will this become a legal issue?

Praxsta
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Before going on holiday I had a look at the O2 website which states that I will be notified when I have used £20 and £40 worth of data, I thought that seems fair. I "used" data at an airport where the screen was blank and nothing was loading, I thought nothing of it. Same happened for the next airport I arrived at although this time it loaded up for about 30 seconds.
During my holiday I had my mobile data off and I thought all was well until I arrived back to the UK to receive a text from O2 saying that I've been charged £230. I checked back on the website and it clearly states that I will be notified for when I've reached £40 worth of data. I called up the moment I got the text and I talked to a lady who claimed that the charge went through because I had a good credit rating. Possibly the most stupid thing I've heard considering it doesn't state anywhere anything of the sort and it seemed she was talking out of her backside to waste time. She said she will put my account under investigation and I will be notified within five working days. I received no call. I called up on the sixth working day to check what was going on and another lady stated that it does say for her to contact me and that she will notify her immediately and will call me back the same day. That didn't happen either. I called up on the seventh working day and a gentleman said that he will look into it and said that it is a complicated issue and I will have to call up the escalation department the next day. It is now the next day, my phone is not registered on the network and everyday I'm stress out more and more over this because O2 is refusing to cooperate with me. It's reaching a point where it's affecting my everyday life and it's bothering me. Is it possible to take legal action over this?
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Seems they have restricted the phone because of non payment. Hopefully complaints will get back to you soon. Seems a lot just for connecting those two times and you should only be charged £40 per billing period as I understand it. 

Message 11 of 25

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10286 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3023 Solutions
Where did you travel to as the £40 cap only applied to the EU and not outside..

I would check your Phone to see if any updates to apps where done, as some will bypass Wifi and the tick box, to download updates.

The notifications are network dependent, and arent guaranteed to arrive.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 12 of 25

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145013 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27816 Solutions

@madasaf1sh wrote:
Where did you travel to as the £40 cap only applied to the EU and not outside..

Not true at all http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad#

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 25

Praxsta
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

UPDATE - I have been blacklisted as well due to an "insurance claim". I went to the O2 store and the person was very helpful and said that I have been blacklisted and he has requested it to be removed.

Message 14 of 25

Praxsta
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@Beenherebefore I'm not quite sure. All I know is that I have in fact been blacklisted.
Message 15 of 25

MI5
  • 145013 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27816 Solutions
That means your phone has been barred from connecting to the network.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 25

Praxsta
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

ANOTHER UPDATE  - It seems as though when I recieved my new phone in 2016, an O2 Travel Higher Bolt on was added; which is very unusual considering I havent abroad since 2014 and had no reason to be adding something of the sort. I added the standard O2 Travel in 2014 when I travelled Europe however there was no "higher" package of the sort at the time so it seems as though it was added when I received my phone..

Message 17 of 25

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

This must be the "heavy user" 200MB (or £120) bolt on.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 18 of 25

MI5
  • 145013 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27816 Solutions
It is something the customer has to request so if you didn't you need to add that to your complaint too.

Currently using:
Message 19 of 25

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
What a mess !!
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 20 of 25