cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Reception should be part of phone reviews!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have just returned from a mini-break in Spain with Mrs phillpark. Whilst there I turned my data off, so was reliant on WiFi to Kik/Whatsapp the kids etc. I noticed that Mrs phillpark's Nokia Lumia had far far superior WiFi pick-up thn my HTC One X. In every bar/cafe/shop we went in with free WiFi she invariably picked up a stronger, more reliable WiFi signal than me.

This became quite frustrating when we had to decide where to sit in a bar based on my pi$$-poor WiFi reception and not where the sun was!

Why don't reviewers test the WiFi reception as part of the phone reviews? Would be very useful info in today's WiFi filled world!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Did she wind you up that hers was better than yours ! (Phone model)

Their does seem to be a big difference on how phones behave on wifi. I'm not sure if there's a benchmark for how they should perform.

Message 2 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144977 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions
Interesting you should say that and some of it is down to how the signal is displayed, ie my Ativ appears to hold a stronger wifi signal than the SP does.... Ultimately though they both fail to deal with data around the same distance from the router....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
In every place we went into, she picked up the signal first, and it didn't drop out till long after mine had: A couple of places we went to my phone had lost the signal completely ("out of range") and she was still happily surfing away.

I know it would be hard to have an 'industry standard', but some kind of layman's idea as to how it performs prior to purchase would be good!
Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 144977 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions
Good point but would be difficult to quantify as it is controlled by the modem which is likely too change between firmware updates....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 9

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hey Phil,

Great point about Wi-fi connectivity. I'm passing this on to the device team now to see if we can do anything within O2. I'm also talking to them about potentially reviewing devices from a community perspective on certain pages slight_smile
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 6 of 9

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Any tests would have to be performed under standardised conditions in order to give an accurate comparison.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 144977 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions
It's virtually impossible to do with any accuracy and consistency which is most likely why it's not done already.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 9

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

I can't see how this would work given that wifi signals are affected in the same way as any other signal and would vary in different conditions and locations. Admittedly strength varies from phone to phone but unless they standardise phone wifi antennae then I'm not sure you would get an accurate review of wifi reception and connection.

Message 9 of 9