cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is O2 not prioritising fixing my calling issue in Italy?

jschoete
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I recently switched to O2 before spending three weeks in Italy, thinking it would be great since I could use my phone and data like in the UK.

Man, was I wrong... First of all, data stopped connecting most of the time after the first few days. I had to restart my phone multiple times to have the slightest hope of it randomly reconnecting. Sometimes it just didn't (mind that I was in the middle of Florence, so no way that there wouldn't be any reach).

On top of that, I was unable to receive or make calls, something I found out after my voicemail telling me I had missed calls. This also includes not being able to send or receive SMS text messages as I found out later.

I contacted O2 customer service, in the only way possible to me since I could not call: Facebook Messenger. This was painfully slow, with their side replying only three or four messages per day.

I believe the mobile data issue got fixed (although I did not move around much the last few days to properly test it).

The calling issue however, did not. After O2 removing a "roaming bar" (why is that even a thing???), I waited 24h with multiple restarts of my phone, and I also tried selecting a network myself, instead of automatically doing so. Nothing worked. Now O2 said I may need to wait 10 working days before technical support reaches out to me??? How was this not technical support to begin with, and why do I need to spend even longer without calls? How is this not a priority: O2 is clearly not respecting their side of the contract! How do I escalate this to obtain a sure and fast solution?

I also reached out twice in terms of refunding this month's "service" and both times they basically ignored it... I'm seriously thinking of leaving O2! Never had this problem with Three!

Finally, a minute ago, to log in to this O2 Forum (or Community or whatever), I had to receive two text messages from O2 with a code in them, which I DID receive...? So why is that working but not any other kind of text messages (or calls)??

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 126198 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7552 Solutions

@jschoete 

Have you tried 4G calling?

Most of 3G has been turned off in Italy so people are using 4G.

Reset network settings and manually search for another network.

https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling 

You could use Messenger or Whatsapp over Wifi as long as your contacts have the same apps.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 12

jschoete
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. I tried resetting the network settings and manually searching for another network, without success. I'll add that to my post.

My issue is that for some things I cannot use Messenger or Whatsapp, like my doctor appointment and calling my old grandmother who doesn't use these. Do you think I could use 4G calling for this instead?

Message 3 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 126198 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7552 Solutions

@jschoete 

If your phone is compatible, then there should be no problem using it.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/wifi-and-4g-calling 

Best of luck xx

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 12

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12657 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1155 Solutions

What type of phone do you have @jschoete ?
We know that iPhones on o2 have a unique set up, which can impact your ability to use data.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 126198 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7552 Solutions

@gmarkj 

Thanks for that reminder. 😉

@jschoeteif you have an iPhone, you need to change your APN to mobile.o2.co.uk.

That should help with data problems.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 12

jschoete
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a Google Pixel 6a. It doesn't seem like I have the option for 4G calling. 😕

Message 7 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 126198 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7552 Solutions
Message 8 of 12

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 8030 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 1653 Solutions

O2 call it 4G Calling other networks VoLTE so worth seeing what your phone says.

I'm assuming you are contract and not PAYG as 4G Calling is not available to PAYG customers and I know they have problems with the Italian Networks

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 9 of 12

jschoete
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

No, I don't have the "Advanced" options available.

Message 10 of 12