cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thought I'd bricked phone after plugging it into a mains charger...

Pleiades
Level 3: Thinker
  • 37 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a Poco F3, bought direct from Xiaomi (obviously running an O2 SIM) and it's been brilliant.

The only time it went a bit wrong, was whilst it was plugged into a mains charger (not the one included) away from home - it was connected to a conventional plug that had additional sockets for USB-A and C, the latter of which I used.  I don't know how much juice that port put out, it was charging *really* fast when I left it but came back to a black screen.  No button mashing would help and I was a bit distraught TBH 😞

Took it off charge and left it for a bit.  Pressed buttons later and the Xiaomi emblem, words Fastboot and mascot appeared (but didn't do anything).  Again, no button mashing achieved anything and I was close to despair..

Came back later yet again, and this time the darn thing had booted up and appeared to be completely functional!  I can only surmise it was something to do with the charging?   Was an 'Apple' look-alike USB-C to USB-C short cable.

Did some googling and searching forums but not come to any definitive conclusion about the cause of the 'Black Screen of Death' so it's made me wary of 3-pin Mains plugs with built-in USB ports.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Should I be wary of those things now?!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@PleiadesNo idea why it happened to you but I always uses the mains switch (3 pin plug) and the correct charging lead for my Note 10. I don't travel much so have one in bedroom and one next to me in chair. Just bought 2 new bedside lights which have charging ports built in and you charge with a USB cable.

Have charged from my PC but being a bit old fashioned 😂 i much prefer the 3 pin plug method. Oh and have charged in the car with USB lead as well.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 12

Pleiades
  • 37 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks.  Could just have been a coincidence I guess...  🤔  Just a bit scary when screen was just a black mirror!

Message 3 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

I plug mine into anything available.

As long as it's 5volts it shouldn't matter, only the time to charge will vary with current.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 12

Pleiades
  • 37 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O I C. Maybe I'm being paranoid...  Will stick phone in that charger again and see what happens LOL  😁🤞

Message 5 of 12

Projectionist
Level 12: Nimble
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

I wouldn't personally, because the problems that you experienced may have been caused by the phone battery overheating, due to an excessively high charge rate.

A quick look at the phone manual, or the manufacturers website will tell you the charge rate that they recommend ( or look at the print on the charger that came with the phone)

Battery life can be shortened by charging faster than recommended. (and the slower the charge rate, the longer the battery will last as a rule)

Some chargers, especially the cheap ones found on eBay are not made to the same safety standards as used in the UK, EU, US etc

Using Pixel 4 ( O2 + 1pMobile) , Samsung E1182 ( geosim + dtac)
Message 6 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@ProjectionistAgree to some extent (about cheap chargers ...always been a bugbear of mine when seeing the results of a house fire due to a cheap charger) Working at the hospital you see some horrific burns. However if people are sensible and study the charger they need and buy from highly recommended sellers (either from the phone manufacturer or Amazon) there is limited chance anything will go wrong. As long as they have the required safety standard etc.

PS I certainly would not use a multi plug adaptor ie one plug to the mains with 2-3 plugs either side to charge my phone if the other sockets were in use. Too much overload imo.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 12

Pleiades
  • 37 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I just downloaded an app called 'Ampere'.  Seems a simple enough program.  It's showing between 970 mA and 3770 mA on my home charger (USB-C Poco supplied adapter and lead). Seems like a huge variance but I know nothing about these things LOL  😳

Will test it on the other one when I get the chance later today.

Message 8 of 12

Projectionist
Level 12: Nimble
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

As you have the original charger, you would be best using that rather than another, I would say 😁

Just to clarify an earlier comment, "....and the slower the charge rate, the longer the battery will last ..." was intended to refer to the lifetime of the battery, not the time that the charge would last - if your phone has a non-replaceable battery, it's obviously in your interest to make it last as long as possible. ( Though to be fair, if you're anything like me, you'll have damaged the screen long before the battery dies )

Take care

Using Pixel 4 ( O2 + 1pMobile) , Samsung E1182 ( geosim + dtac)
Message 9 of 12

Pleiades
  • 37 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I don't take my charger out with me as a rule so do often rely on random, generic ones when out and about...  Just thought they were all the same but I will be more careful in future!  👍

Message 10 of 12