Did you mean: 

Switching to SIM only.

PTfromBT
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, everyone.

Long term O2 customer coming to end of contract on July 7th.

Looking to switch to the 12 month SIM with 30GB allowance and unlimited texts and calls for £8.00 pm.

I'd like to keep my current number. If I sign up online and opt to keep my current number during that process will my current contract end automatically?

Also. Will I keep my Volt benefits as an O2 / Virgin Media customer?

Grateful for advice by return.

Paul

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38491 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1732 Solutions

Two guides you need to read, @PTfromBT - Guide: Cancelling Your Contract (for info) and Guide: Migration & porting into O2  

Note O2 are disabling contract SIMs automatically in many instances these days, sadly, upon completion of new purchase - leaving you in limbo until you get your new SIM and activate it the first time.

And you will lose VOLT benefits on the mobile for a few days as contract move happens, but it does come back after about a week (in my case) without further action - Volt Megaguide 

Good luck, @PTfromBT!

Message 2 of 16

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 126057 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

As well as the info above from @pgn, it's important to remember to take the UPGRADE route @PTfromBT 

Otherwise you will end up with a 2nd contract. Not what you want at all. 😉 Upgrading ensures you keep your number.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 16

PTfromBT
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi. Thanks for the quick responses and advice folks. I’m a bit confused by the upgrade suggestion as I’m effectively trying to downgrade three out of contract tariffs and not seeking new handsets. Can you elaborate on your advice please? 

Message 4 of 16

MI5
  • 149530 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions

@PTfromBT 

I've just done a sim only upgrade myself so can guide you through.

From your MyO2, choose upgrade now.

Select the sim only option.

Choose the sim only package you want and add to basket.

It will ask you to confirm that you are upgrading your number.

You do not need a new sim so your old sim will not be turned off.

Accept all the T&C's that are shown, choose a spend cap if required and any extras offered.

Complete checkout process.

No need to cancel your current contract and your new tariff will start almost immediately.

You will receive emails confirming this.

The whole process takes around 5 mins.

Your next bill will be the same date as always and will be adjusted down to take into account the cheaper tariff you have taken.

Best of luck and welcome.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 5 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 126057 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

@PTfromBT wrote:

Hi. Thanks for the quick responses and advice folks. I’m a bit confused by the upgrade suggestion as I’m effectively trying to downgrade three out of contract tariffs and not seeking new handsets. Can you elaborate on your advice please? 

@PTfromBT

I'm sim only as I buy my phone outright and keep it for a few years.

@MI5has taken you through the very easy process. (I know it sounds weird talking about UPGRADE when you are in effect downgrading.... but that's the way it's written).

Bottom line, using the UPGRADE route in your case, you are continuing to use the same phone and it;s only the tariff which changes on the system. All usually happens on the same day.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 16

PTfromBT
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Folks.

Once again many thanks for the advice and clarification.

Having gone through the upgrade route on the app the only SIM only 30gb unlimited minutes and unlimited texts is a 24 month contract at £14.99 a month. The specific offer I am after is 30GB unlimited minutes unlimited texts for 12 months at £8.00 a month as seen here https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/package-options?cm_mmc=affiliate-_-75150-_-blank-_-blank&awc=3235_16885384...

Clearly I cannot upgrade to this via the app.

Any further advice most welcome.

Message 7 of 16

MI5
  • 149530 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions

@PTfromBT 

The offer you are looking for is a 24 month tariff.

The one you have selected is a 12 month tariff.

You need to select from the 24 month options.

24m.png

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 8 of 16

MI5
  • 149530 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions

@PTfromBT 

If you select from the USwitch website you can get it for £8.00 for 12 months.

Just start here and it will be added to your O2 basket https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/sim_only_deals/o2/

Message 9 of 16

PTfromBT
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Someone has suggested to me that the Uswitch route may prove problematic when O2 realize that the three numbers I wish to retain to use with the new £8.00 SIMs are already on their network. Does anyone have any experience of this? Grateful, again, for advice.

Message 10 of 16