Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Boxes

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions

So my mate out in the sticks struggle to get any signal with any of the networks, but O2 was the best, I use that term in jest. He was always dropping calls etc so went looking for a signal box, as the tugo app didn't work in pay and go, is he would be ok but his wife and son wasn't.

He is just off the phone with EE and they have signed him up on a 12 month sim only and posting him out a signal box. He is also being second two pay and go sims for his wife and son.

that's three lines O2 has lost because they don't do a signal box. I mean they aren't exactly expensive and he said he would have paid to get one.

any reason why o2 don't just move with the times and offer these?

Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions
There's always been rumours about them being in development, but realistically I can't see them ever being rolled out unfortunately.
With coverage improving year on year, and Tu working just as well for the majority of people, the business argument for introducing booster boxes just isn't as sound as it would have been 5 or 10 years ago
Message 2 of 47

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Signal and booster boxes have always been for business customers only. Tell me the difference whether you are a consumer or business customer and you have no signal. Never a rumour, you are a business customer you can get a booster box. If you are a customer then stuff you...........

Message 3 of 47

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

I was referring to development and roll out for consumer use @jonsie , which I can't see happening at this stage, because a better alternative has come to the market.
It could be argued booster boxes could have been offered to consumers in the past, but now Tu Go is offered to everyone and it works exactly the same way - pumping calls and texts through home broadband. It's also available instantly (no postage), it can be used anywhere, it's free for the customers, and it's a lot cheaper for the network to manage. Hopefully in due time it will become available for PAYG too.

Incidentally, the business boosters start from £150. It's not as if they're being held back just because you're not a business customer - these are professional devices designed to sustain a business with dozens of users, and would not be appropriate for consumers - no one would be willing to pay for them for casual use.

Message 4 of 47

MI5
  • 144498 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27709 Solutions
O2 will allow a boostbox to be sold to a non business customer if they can demonstrate a good reason for having one - that's not to say PAYG customers would be included in this though.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 47

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12083 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions
just to throw my tuppence worth in...
we have a signal box at work (big warehouse and offices).
it piggy bags off a nearby mast to provide signal (not sure how - I think there is a cable to it)
great when it works, but if the mast is undergoing any work then the box also loses signal.
also the boxes do not work 100% of the time - we have had a number of occasions where the signal is non existant inside the building but if you step outside you immediately get signal...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 47

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

TU works off wifi so is not doing the same job as a booster which works entirely different. My point is that consumers who have issues at home or a number of employees in a work place should have been able to buy a booster box. Many of these places have no wifi available so TU isn't the solution for them, hence customers are forced to change network.

Message 7 of 47

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
I still think that if a customer is willing to pay for one, and they exist, they should be available for purchase.
Message 8 of 47

Cleoriff
  • 123021 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

I also see no reason for such exclusivity. Apparently (or so I have been told) they are illegal to install without permission...although freely available to buy? I am sure @MI5 or @jonsie told me this...(Unless I am going senile)

Fear

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 47

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Really? Illegal... There must be lots of criminals about. grin
Message 10 of 47