Second time aRound, Samsung Gear S2

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

gear-s2_logo1.png

Gear-S2_Classic-_Left.jpg

My fondness for Samsung Gear smartwatches is pretty well known on here. When using or reviewing other smartwatches the Samsung Gear is the one i always seem to compare them to. Tizen (the Gear S series, operating system) seems to work so much better than the rest, obliterating earlier OS choices by manufacturers, and still being miles ahead than Android Wear even with its most up to date updates, Tizen just works as you'd want from a watch and has grown from basic functionality, to its latest version with multimedia functionality and direct access to your info, when you want it. Tizen and Gear S is what all the others want to be,,, quick, direct and the most user friendly of them all.

Samsung was on a real winner with Gear S, I thoroughly recommended it and you can read my review of the original Gear S Here but i did have a few negative points to make:

1. it was locked to samsung only phones.

2. it was kind of confused by having sim data, but unable to self install.

Obviously the Korean dudes at Samsung read my review and agreed, the Gear S2 will now work with over 95% of all modern smartphones (including the trashy ones) and for the first time, Samsung has allowed Tizen and Samsung Account to function within Android and IOS..... pretty cool in itself but if you look deeper.... IOS users could very well end up being able to use Samsung Pay in the future...

Under the hood, you'll notice first and foremost that spec wise, the two Gear S watches are very similar. In fact the cpu's are near enough identical. Why? well its simple, the Gear S was so flipping quick it didnt need a hardware update, it was that good. Instead the design and functionality has had the overhaul it needed to make this watch, a very worthy update. 

Specification.

• dimension
    39.9 x 43.6 x 11.4 mm( W x H x D )
  • gram
    42g
  • chipset
    Exynos 3250
  • network
    Wifi
    Bluetooth
  • color
    black
  • battery
    250 mAh
  • display
    1.2” Full Circular sAMOLED
    360 x 360 (302ppi)
  • ram
    RAM : 512 MB
    ROM : 4 GB
    Available Memory : 1.9 GB *
  • water resistant
    IP68
  • connectivity
    BT4.1, WiFi, NFC
  • sensors
    Acc, Gyro, HRM, Barometer,
    Ambient light
  • os
    Tizen

As you can see, almost the same as Gear S, with the exception of one important thing... no 3G sim slot. Tbh thats not much to moan about, I found after a few weeks of Gear S use that the sim was barely even active, let alone used. Whilst Gear S blurred the lines between phone and watch, The Gear S2 cements the status as a Mobile companion device, albeit one that can and does function much better when away from your mobile. Of course though, for a premium price you can buy the 3G version, but in UK it's very seldom seen for sale as it's pretty much a gimmick and Samsung themselves are fully aware of this it seems.

The Bezel

As a working control for the watch, the rotating bezel is a bloody genius addition to a round smartwatch, it works fantastic at moving around the menus and scrolling through text. It simply means you can read and use the whole screen while also moving through various screens. I was sceptical at first but soon found myself using it exclusively for controling the Gear, the feedback from the bezel is similar to the old "bumps" from a sony jog dial, there is no nasty noises or anything like that, just a smooth feedback given to let you know its finding its target.

Screen-20160403215838.pngScreen-20160403215905.png

Design and build quality

From the ground up, Gear S2 has been built to be compact and very, very stylish. using full metal casings topped with Gorilla glass 3, the watch is surprisingly very light whilst also being very functional

gear-s2_design_disassembled.jpg

As well as the complete overhaul to fit everything inside a round chassis, Samsung has clearly listened to the numerous stories of charging clips breaking and people unable to charge the Gear S (never happened to me but i never doubted them). The Gear S2 now has a glass back with magnetic wireless charging, meaning nothing can break and fitting the watch into the charger is as simple as just putting it near the charger, the magnet will pull it into place.

gear-s2_design_back-view.jpg

gear-s2_power_s.jpg

Operating system and Functions

This is where Gear S2 shines, as a smartwatch it outclasses everything else on the market by a long, long way. So simple, yet so so effective at what it does. Swipe right for your notifications, swipe left for your widgets, home button doubles up as app drawer button and now the Gear includes a back button too. In fact, you dont even have to swipe, the rotating bezel moves through the notifications and widgets with ease meaning you get what you want QUICK.

Screen-20160403220135.pngScreen-20160403220034.pngScreen-20160403220213.pngScreen-20160403220535.pngScreen-20160403220059.png

The watch faces can be chaged either by using the Gear app or by simply long pressing on the watch face, you then can swipe or rotate to your chosen face and with many, can then customise the style of the face.

Screen-20160403215829.pngScreen-20160403215219.png

Like Android and Gear S, there is a pull down menu that enables quick settings and info about the Gear S2

Screen-20160403220140.png

And a double tap of the home button will bring up a list of open, recent apps, giving you the quick option of closing all or single apps.

Screen-20160403220544.png

There are plenty of actual settings to play with too in the menus, giving options with wifi, bluetooth, nfc (and tap and pay) screen, battery saving, yada yada yada....

Screen-20160403220612.pngScreen-20160403220417.pngScreen-20160403220239.png

On the whole, Tizen rules at the smartwatch game, the device is a joy to use, and thats the way it should be.

Companion App.

Previously only available via root and messing with, Samsung has finally opened the door to Gear for other handsets aside from Galaxy. Connecting the watch is simple and quick, you need to go into the app market, download Gear S2 app and then it does the rest, only asking your permission to install the Tizen Gear plugin, and the Samsung accessory service. Once done, the watch is connected and you will be prompted by Android to allow the Gear S2 to recieve notifications, once done...its all done. No messing no hassle, just a simple and quick installation, exactly as it should be. The app screen allows you to transfer images or music to your watch, check for latest updates and has direct access to the Galaxy app store, for the first time as a non Samsung phone user, you can access the Samsung store directly by logging in or creating a Samsung account.

Screenshot_20160403-214349.jpg

Screenshot_20160403-213732.jpg

Screenshot_20160403-214400.jpg

Screenshot_20160403-214409.jpg

Conclusion.

It's a joy to use, it really is, Samsung have taken something fantastic, and turned it a full 360 (excuse the pun.) to bring it back better than ever before. The Gear S2 is a pinnacle for smartwatches and still the Gear series stands far, far above the rest of the crowd in terms of design, functionality, power and style. No other smartwatch comes close to being as alluring as Gear S2 and in a field of round watches hitting the market, you have to ask yourself why they are so lacking when Samsung's first round watch is this good.

The Gear S2 has taken the crown of ruler of smartwear, from itself with the also impressive Gear S. No easy feat when you consider the market is currently booming with smartwear follow up devices.

Samsung got it yet again, smack on target.

Samsung Gear S2 sport can be bought from O2 for £249.99 Here 

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Brilliant review @viridis and I love the layout and pictures. It looks and from your review sounds like the smartwatch to have if you are going to have one.

Excellent mate! Mexican Wave

Message 2 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122762 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Another awesome piece of work @viridis. I make no secret of the fact I love reading a damn good review complete with pictures to explain everything further. This Gear S2 seems to do everything you need and more (and looks like a watch...brownie points for that) Well done you. Excellent. Bow

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 22

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12042 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1121 Solutions
very nice review, and as @jonsie says it sounds very much THE smart watch of choice.

Unless you fancy paying way over the odds for the Apple version...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Great review @viridis. Nicely written beautiful layout of the photos & very detailed
Message 5 of 22

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Excellent review @viridis ..As always, very detailed and visually informative, which I particularly love.. I seriously want one of these. Well done Hero  x

giphy-3
Message 6 of 22

MI5
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Nice job again mate - looks like I may have to add one to the shopping list slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122762 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Ok... @viridis now I have just seen the price...and reading again the important part about it working with 95% of smartphones...does this really include iPhones ? I ask as I have a son who is into gadgets of all types....sadly he is an iFanboy.......but he has a birthday coming up.......

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 22

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Unofficially, it can work with iPhone, officially.. It will fully support iPhone soon.
An earlier firmware supported ios which is now not supported whilst Samsung fix a few things, but yes, you can have a stock rom working with IOS.
Message 9 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122762 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Unofficially, it can work with iPhone, officially.. It will fully support iPhone soon.
An earlier firmware supported ios which is now not supported whilst Samsung fix a few things, but yes, you can have a stock rom working with IOS.

Ok...I will come to the point. He has an iPhone 6...he has a birthday end of June....Will it work with that? Smiley Embarassed

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 22