cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement Handset also faulty

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder if others may have experience or advice on the following?

purchased a Sony Xperia Z1 Compact online in May 2014 on O2 Refresh. For 11 months, it was the best handset I had ever owned. Then my problems began.

I started having troubles with charging the device. I went into an O2 store on the 10th April 2015 and it was sent away for repair. I got the device back on 15th April stating that it was a loose usb causing my troubles. I returned home and within a week, it was having the same trouble. It was sent off for repair again on 21st April. It returned to store on 24th April with a note explaining that no fault could be found. Sure enough, I experienced the same problem the same day. It was sent back within and hour of me collecting it on 24th April.

On 29th April, my handset was back in store. This time, I was sent a replacement. At first glance it look as in good condition as my last (which was as good as new).

This was not to be. After an hour or so of re-configuring my information on the device and updating the software, I noticed the "vibrate" function had a mind of its own. It works intermittently and useless to me whilst in "silent" mode on which I rely. I was disappointed to find my replacement was a refurbished handset. 

As a keen photographer, My main reason for purchasing this device was for the camera. Upon inspection, I noticed what appears to be a hair or fiber right across the camera lens. I tried to blow it off, only to discover it was under the casing and in the lens itself. My replacement had more faults than my original device.

Feeling incredibly let down, I went back to the O2 store where I was informed my "new" phone could be sent back for repair. While although polite, It was claimed there was little more they could do.

This time angry, I went onto the complaints section of the o2 website where it tells me I can talk to someone about my complaint by calling 202. Having called this number, there is in fact no option to make a complaint. 

I relented and used the "chat" feature. Which is where I come to the climax and quite frankly, appalling part of my experience. 

After talking to roughly 8 people (after being transferred between departments) I was informed I could have another refurbished replacement. I do not consider this to be an acceptable replacement, firstly because I have lost all faith in this device to function without serious issue and secondly, because I do not trust the repair center to send a fully functioning device which has been checked as thoroughly as claimed. Or, I could cancel my contract (which I seriously considered doing as I do not feel a valued customer). This would cost me the £180 I have remaining on my phone contact, effectively, this means paying £360 for a phone that still does not work properly.

At every turn, I have felt let down by O2. I have spent the best part of a month without a fully functioning device, I am continuing to pay for a service I am not receiving and when I attempted to complain about the service, it fell on deaf ears.

What I have been offered is not an acceptable solution. Having has 2 faulty devices, I do not want to risk a third for the £25 a month I am paying. 

I sent the above information to the Complaints Review Service but I don't hold out much hope.

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

If you scroll down the complaints page (linked above by Cleoriff) you will see the Impartial Review section where you can write in for a review of your complaint, if that gets you nowhere you can then use the ombudsman service to decide the issue which is on the same page.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 11 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's the first time I laughed today, thank you.

I guess if it has a plug, it occasionally goes wrong!

I might pen an email to Sony and see what comes from it.  Great advice.

Thanks

Message 12 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I have done. I'm waiting on a reply. It takes 5 working days I think, and thanks to a bank holiday, that may not be until next weekend

Message 13 of 38

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

That's the first time I laughed today, thank you.

I guess if it has a plug, it occasionally goes wrong!

I might pen an email to Sony and see what comes from it.  Great advice.

Thanks

Well we may not have resolved your problem @Anonymous  but at least you had a laugh...and lots of sympathy. Really hope it gets sorted asap...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 38

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Is the compact now on lollipop?
If so
The phone will not vibrate on silent mode, only when volume is manually turned down.
Silent mode is now exactly that, silent.
For vibrate only, it must be in sound mode but volume all the way down.
Message 15 of 38

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
As for the hair, you can try a small vacuum cleaner near a port to move the hair but myself I'd be inclined to make some noise about this, depending who refurbished it, it may not even be waterproof anymore.
Sony can vacuum test the device as a last resort to guarantee it's ip rating but they will probably do this anyway when dealing with the other issues.
Message 16 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Yes it is on lollipop.  I understand the new vibrate mode, however my issue is with vibrate on touch too. It comes and goes during a single text message. It's all over the place.

I must admit, the waterproof feature was a concern of mine. It's not a feature I want to test myself.

I completely agree with wanting to make some noise, and whilst I'm trying, it seems no one is listening.

Message 17 of 38

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Sony will reply and book it in for repair.
They will flash it and do the correct tests on the motors, they will also unseal the lens cover and remove the hair, then once all put back together they will perform a vacuum port and seal test.
It will come back better from them rather than Anova
Message 18 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have no doubt that Sony would do a great job.

My issue is I don't feel I should pay for a repair. And certainly it should never have reached this point.

Message 19 of 38

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I don't see why it would be chargeable.
Even refurbs have warranty:

"All our refurbs come with a 12 month warranty, so you don't have to worry about anything going wrong"

The law and rights are on your side in situations like this.
Message 20 of 38