Did you mean: 

Faulty handset nightmare

Adzd1975
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

I already had one handset pay monthly contract with O2 and ten days ago ordered myself a Google Pixel 7a on a pay monthly contract and ported my pay as you go number from another network. 
Two days ago the Pixel 7a stopped responding to touch. I took the handset to the O2 store on Cheshire Oaks and all they could do was access it using an attached mouse to format the handset ready for return. 
They said I had to contact O2 via phone as it wasn’t purchased in a store. 

So, I’ve just spent 90 minutes on the phone with O2 customer support, the first person I spoke to said because it was within 28 days of start of contract that I would send the phone back and once the technicians had confirmed the fault then a new handset would be sent out. He told me had raised the return and exchange request and he would now transfer me to his colleague who would explain the process. After another 25 minutes on hold I got through to another person who told me they would not be exchanging the handset and that the only option I had of keeping the number active was to move over to a rolling 30 day contract that I could cancel at any time or upgrade to a new handset. 
I agreed as I didn’t have any other option to keep my number and to be honest I was losing the will to live at this point. 
I was wondering, because I now have a sim only deal that is rolling 30 days, if I login to my O2 and select a new handset and tariff, can I port the number from the 30 day contract to the new handset even though they are both on the O2 network? And if so will the porting process automatically cancel my rolling 30 day sim only package?

I hope that makes sense?

Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6608 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

None of what O2 has told you makes sense to me. If the phone was under 30 days it should be exchanged.

Even sending the phone back for replacement or repair you keep the SIM and the number to be used in another phone.

I've never heard of someone being moved to a 30 day rolling contract, but I stand to be corrected.

If you are on 30 days you can do what you suggest, but what has happened to your payments for the Pixel Phone, are you still paying

You need to check your account in My O2 Or Text INFO to 85075 and see what it returns

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 10

Adzd1975
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

BDCB5592-0D32-4CA2-81F3-BAC15B97E1B9.jpeg

Hi, thanks for the reply. 
I sent the info SMS and got the attached response?

The second person I spoke to said they had cancelled my pixel 7a contract without charge and had started the rolling contract immediately?

Message 3 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions
Message 4 of 10

MI5
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Adzd1975 wrote:

I was wondering, because I now have a sim only deal that is rolling 30 days, if I login to my O2 and select a new handset and tariff, can I port the number from the 30 day contract to the new handset even though they are both on the O2 network? And if so will the porting process automatically cancel my rolling 30 day sim only package?

@Adzd1975 

Just upgrade and you will keep the number and it will cancel to 30 day contract all automatically.

You even keep your current sim.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 10

Adzd1975
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @MI5  when I go to my account, there’s only an option to change the tariff for that number. I can upgrade my other co tract, but there’s no upgrade option for this one, only the change tariff?

Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

That would suggest you're not on a 30 day contract then @Adzd1975 

I think customer services are giving you a run around.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 10

Adzd1975
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5  I will check my account status again tomorrow, if it hasn’t changed I will have to attempt to get through to customer services again.

Message 8 of 10

Adzd1975
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Update

I checked my account this morning and it’s still the same, no option to upgrade. 
I managed to speak to someone on the online chat, they looked at my account and I explained what was happening, they said I have £349 outstanding on my account and cannot upgrade. I explained that the faulty handset was being returned and a Jiffy bag was being sent out, they said there’s nothing they can do as I owe money and then ended the call. 
So I’m now stuck with a rolling 30 day sim only deal and no handset. 
Once the handset has been returned I guess I will have to try and contact o2 again and see what I can do as I’m currently stuck without a handset. 

Message 9 of 10

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5684 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Adzd1975 

To have a working SIM but no handset is an interesting position to find yourself in. 

Please keep us updated on developments.  

Message 10 of 10