Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor / No Mobile Signal at Home

DaveM54
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ever since Virgin switched first to Vodafone and then to O2 my mobile signal at home has been poor to non existent. When they were previously using EE I rarely had a problem making and receiving calls at home.

I live in DY8 5PY.

I first reported this problem around about June/July 2023. My neighbours who are also on Virgin or O2 are having the same problems and have reported it.

I have also been on the online network status checker to report the problem but it always says -

"Looks like a nearby phone mast isn’t working as it should, sorry.

Our engineers will be on the case already, and your service might come and go until we fix it."

It has been saying this since last June/July. They clearly have been on the case a long time obviously!!!

When I re report this online I get a text saying "Sorry you have been having network problems. We're working hard to fix the issue and will be in touch within 48 hours, or sooner if it's fixed." Or it says online someone with my number has already reported the fault.

I have Wi-Fi calling on my phone but this doesn't solve the problem unless there is a tiny bit of mobile signal.

Occasionally when the signal is a bit better and I can make a call, I can just about hear them but they can't hear me.

If the person I am calling is on What's App I can make a call on that ok.

The nearest transmitter to me which is very small is just over a brow of a hill about 1/2 a mile away.

But I have found if I drive up and park near to it the signal is still weak.

If I drive closer to Kingswinford (DY6) I can make calls ok but this is obviously not very convenient and it doesn't solve the problem of people phoning me at home.

It seems to me that some sort of repeater transmitter is required down in the dip where I live. This might improve the signal me and maybe for everybody else in the Wordsley / DY8 area because there are a lot of other people in the surrounding area are complaining about poor O2 and some of the other networks mobile signals on local Facebook pages.

It is clearly time that something was done about this.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149426 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28496 Solutions

Sounds like you'd be better off going back to EE or one of their MVNO's

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 6

jonsie
  • 94001 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

japitts
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 218 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

All networks have good & bad coverage areas. You're clearly in a poor area for O2 where additional sites are needed, but if EE has good coverage where you need it - as mentioned already, you seem to have your answer.

Your statement "I have Wi-Fi calling on my phone but this doesn't solve the problem unless there is a tiny bit of mobile signal" is curious - the whole premise of WiFi-calling is that no network coverage is needed. In other words - you choose the best network for wide-area/national coverage for your needs, and WiFi-calling can provide indoor service if the macro network doesn't.

Message 4 of 6

MI5
  • 149426 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28496 Solutions

I suspect the call settings need changing to wifi preferred.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 5 of 6

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7933 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 1652 Solutions

"I have Wi-Fi calling on my phone but this doesn't solve the problem unless there is a tiny bit of mobile signal."

Then that's not right Wifi calling should work were there is no mobile signal at all

Double check your phone settings.

As per others moving to EE or one of their MNVO networks is the best answer

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 6 of 6