Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 data compression, discuss.

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
So I read before that users had issues when streaming video on 3g / 4g and I said I had not encountered this myself, until now..
You see before I was on O2 branded firmware as it offered more network choices for my phone and I like to select 2g only when on WiFi for extended periods.
Never had a problem with video streaming.
Recently I tried a bit of lollipop and then flashed back to UK Customised (sim free unbranded) in anticipation of 5.0.2 and have noticed the exact problems others were talking about. Video is poor, lower quality and looks compressed to hell when compared with previous experiences.
Looking at the firmware releases, I noticed that in o2 branded firmware, the modem build is different to the UK Customised but that UK Customised matches most other networks.
So, is it possible that streaming is better when using o2 direct firmware then the compressed garbage I'm seeing on the UK Customised combined firmware?
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144950 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27778 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

well the data speed in my area is unbarable sometimes i cant even watch anything on netflix, sky go or even youtube without it buffering every 3-4 min .. so if it works ill leave it on ... i get 10 gig and never use 6 g most months so i should be ok ?

If you use 6gb normally you would be approaching 24gb without compression (approx 4:1)

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 15

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I found the data compression used on Netflix was a little much until they started providing HD content. Then it seemed throttle, go blocky or lose sync. This was on a 50Mbit broadband connection at the time so about 6.25MB/s potential.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 12 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

hmm

3.89 download 1.62 upload before 

1.91 download 0.62 upload after

seems like its slowed me right down ... unless ive done something wrong :S                                                                                                                                               

Message 13 of 15

MI5
  • 144950 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27778 Solutions
For android you just change the username to bypass, save and reboot phone - nothing else required.
I have 2 apn's saved on my phone, a normal one and the bypass one so I can just switch between the two as required.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 15

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

I am just using bypass on the original settings, don't have a seperate apn to be honest.

Message 15 of 15