cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 censors my Internet connection.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've tried to open a web page, and have been redirected to http://www.o2av.net/ageverify which on iPhone shows a page that requests my credit card number to prove my age.

Is that some kind of scam? If it's O2 really doing this, is such censorship even legal outside China!?

The page I've tried to open is completely innocent, but even if it wasn't, it's not O2's damn business!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
It's not censorship, it's to prevent under 18s from wandering onto unsuitable sites.

You only have to verify once.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
You can purchase a pay as you go handset as far as i'm aware at any age and you can use O2's PAYG sim card in it to surf the internet.

It's not unreasonable that O2 want to prevent minors from accessing stuff they shouldn't be.

Granted some sites might be innocent, but i think the company would be in a very negative light with the media if they didn't have a way of verifying peoples ages on non contract services
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Since when O2 is responsible for raising someone else's children and deciding what's appropriate and what's not? I don't have children and I did not ask for this "service".

I'm furious that O2 dares to snoop on my Internet connection.
Message 4 of 13

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
I guess you'll have to be furious then! 😐
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Since when O2 is responsible for raising someone else's children and deciding what's appropriate and what's not? I don't have children and I did not ask for this "service".
I'm furious that O2 dares to snoop on my Internet connection.

O2 as an internet provider have a responsibility to ensure if someone under 18 purchases a PAYG device with internet, they can't access adult material so for this reason it's added as default and can easily be removed.

O2 aren't trying to decide how people bring up thier children, but if a 14 year old boy walked into an store, bought a PAYG iphone cash then used it to surf adult sites online, how do you think the media and childrens parents would feel that no one has an age restriction in place?
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you dont have a credit card the you have to take ID to the nearest O2 shop to verify your age. Surely this check should be done prior to buying a contract?
I for one live 83 miles away from the nearest O2 shop and have no plans to travel that distance, which means i lose out.

Its ridiculous
Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I simply called up and they removed it. Have you tried that?

They aren't snooping either, it's simply filters that have been put in place.
Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah tried that mate. Was told I had to travel to nearest store or apply for a credit card with someone. Absolutely ludicrous. Complaint coming soon
Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah tried that mate. Was told I had to travel to nearest store or apply for a credit card with someone. Absolutely ludicrous. Complaint coming soon
Message 10 of 13