cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Wifi - Annoying Splash Screen

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a 24 month contract, and am registered for O2 Wifi.  I am also a BT Infinity customer and have BT Openzone/Wifi.  BT is seamless.  As I move around, if it finds a BT hotspot, it connects and I get internet.  With O2, nothing works (like push notifications) until I go to a browser and it takes me to the O2 splash screen.  Once I acknowledge that, I get internet over O2 Wifi.  I have to do this at least once a day - not sure what the timeout is.

Why do we pay monthly customers have to put up with the splash screen?  I ruins the experience.  BT install a profile on my iPhone that allows me access without the splashscreen or login, and it's a great experience.   O2 need to do the same for paying customers.  I understand that they want the splash screen for non-O2 customers as there is advertising on there and their service is free. 

Today I received an email from O2wifi telling me that I'd used 3GB of Wifi (which I find hard to believe, but there you go) and pointing out that it's free.  That's nice.  But I'm fed up with the splash screen and therefore I am going to forget the O2 network in my settings and stick to 3/4G.  My tariff is for 8GB a month, and I barely use 1GB (probably as I am often connected to Wifi including when out and about [O2, Virgin on TfL and BT]).  I will now drop O2wifi and use their 2/4G data and add some load onto the network there.  When they can sort out the wifi splash screen thing, like BT have, then I'll be back on their Wifi and reduce the load on their celular network.

Sorry for venting, but hope someone somewhere will take note.  Probably not....

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149084 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28465 Solutions
Note 4, O2 Unlimited 8gb, Midlands area - I'll check out the functionality of the app the best I can and report back.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 11 of 11