Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Scam - 40% discount

RhiRhi
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I just received a call from 0330 001 1027 claiming to be O2 offering me a 40% discount on my tariff. They sent two texts to verify my account.

The texts came through on my phone as ‘O2 UK’ to the same thread I received genuine O2 texts to.

1st text 

*FRAUD ALERT - MUST READ* Has someone called you and asked for a code? Hang up. They DO NOT work for O2 and are trying to commit fraud on your O2 account. Never give a one-time code to anyone who called you. Call us on 202 if you need help. If you requested a code yourself, we'll be texting it to you shortly.

2nd text

Here is your code: XXXXXX. Please enter this code to retrieve your O2 account. If you did not authorise this, please contact O2.

Thankfully I had googled quickly and seen it was a scam but please be aware.

I've changed my password on my account and the confirmation text if password change comes through on the same text thread so really convincing!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
@RhiRhi

These are starting to become too common at the moment.

I would report to o2 as well:
the details are here
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/fraud-advice
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@RhiRhi 

The texts have come from O2.

It's the phone call that didn't.

You did right to change your password as the scammers had access to your account prior to you changing the password.

The scammers have spoofed the O2 phone number to make it look like the call came from O2, but for sure it didn't. Number spoofing scams - Ofcom 

Check all your account details carefully to make sure they haven't already changed your address and also notify your bank in case they got access to any bank account details stored in your MyO2.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 4

O2EmmaLouise
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 254 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 28 Solutions

Hi @RhiRhi,

Thanks for sharing this! It's happening more and more frequently.

The texts sound genuine but the call ID definitely isn't from O2.

Message 4 of 4