cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Misinformed Me - Do They Have To Refund?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I bought a phone from o2 and SPECIFICALLY asked if it came unlocked as I travel between countries and need to swap networks regularly. I was told yes it does come unlocked by the manager, so I ordered my t-mobile sim, left the phone at home and visited my friend in France for 14 days. When I came back and realised it wasn't unlocked, I was told i'd have to do it myself - but that it could mess up the settings.
I am now outwith the 14 days return policy and am stuck with a phone that is locked (I DO NOT WANT TO UNLOCK MYSELF OR PAY SOMEONE TO DO IT FOR ME) and quite frankly have fallen out of love with the phone.
It was a HTC Desire and cost me £379.99 and I am not happy that I am stuck with it because of their employee's incompetence.
Are they under obligation to refund me because of misinformation? I would NOT have bought it had I known it was locked. Is there anything I can do?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 94057 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

When you buy a P&G phone from O2 it is invariably locked to the network and it's not eligible to be unlocked until it's been on the network for 12 months.
If you believe you have been sold the phone with misinformation you need to make a complaint rather than unlocking it by a retailer as this would probably void the warranty. Use the complaint review service::
Complaint Review Service
Read the document here.
and write with your complaint here ::
O2 Complaint Review Service
Email Address ::

complaintreviewservice@o2.com

Tell them: 
• Your name and address 
• Your mobile and account numbers 
• A daytime phone number 
• A suggestion of how they can put things right 
Postal Address ::

O2 Complaints Review Service

PO BOX 694

Winchester

SO23 5AP
More information here : How do I make a complaint?

Message 2 of 9

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3324 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions
Point of interest: when you say unlocked did you specifically say you wanted to swap sims? Could be that the manager misunderstood in thinking that you wanted to use it abroad and thus the international block was removed hence it is unlocked for international usage via the o2 sim.
Might be a case of employee ignorance though.
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Stevyjones, I am sorry to say that in this specific Glasgow branch, this is not the case. A few weeks before buying the phone, I went in with a friend who bought the same one and immediately used his T-Mobile sim with it - with the manager's help!
Sheepdog, I specifically stated I wanted to move to T-Mobile temporarily before I go to France for a longer period of time, so yes I was clear.
Message 4 of 9

jonsie
  • 94057 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions
Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Seems to me then that you have reasonable grounds for a complaint.

Agreed, except I believe he has more "fallen out of love" with his phone rather than the lock/unlock situation.
Message 6 of 9

jonsie
  • 94057 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
am just surprised that you did not test it before you left the UK for 14 days.
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you been back into the store to take up the issue with the manager?
Message 9 of 9