cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message Numbering and Display

Anonymous
Not applicable

Silly me - I hate having to scroll through reams of stuff to read the latest messages in a thread. This is particualrly irritating when using mobile phone when you have to get to the bottom of the page to see the number scroller.  So I adjusted My Settings to display the Newest Posts first.  But for some arcane reason Lithium then regards the newest message as Number 1.  So when other members refer to messages by the numbering they see (when presumably messages are displayed OLDEST message first)  this is inconsistent with the numbering that I see. 

Edited by me:-  Each message seems to have a unique number assigned and this forms part of the URL for the message.  However it is not that number which is referred to below the Avatar where it says  "message x  of y". It is that number which changes when the order of display is changed and potentially gives rise to confusion for those of us at an age when confusion is the norm.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145017 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27816 Solutions
Just click the double arrow (>>) at the end of the page number list and it will take you to the last post that you have read in that thread.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Just click the double arrow (>>) at the end of the page number list and it will take you to the last post that you have read in that thread.

And that is excellent @MI5  -  but does not answer the point I was making.  In a long thread if someone refers to message 251 say,  the message bearing that number in my display will be a different message altogether because for some reason the re-ordering also re-numbers!

Message 3 of 16

MI5
  • 145017 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27816 Solutions
Wasn't aware it did that as I always list in the order they were posted.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 16

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

MI5
  • 145017 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27816 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Just bookmark this link

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/Message-Numbering-and-Display/m-p/908543#U908543

Lost me now jonsie?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

Just bookmark this link

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/Message-Numbering-and-Display/m-p/908543#U908543

Lost me now jonsie?

Glad you said that @MI5  -  makes me feel ok as @jonsie has (unusually I have to say) lost me  too.

Message 7 of 16

MI5
  • 145017 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27816 Solutions
Yes, unusual for me too...
I must be missing something?

Currently using:
Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jonsie's link gets me this:-

Capture.JPG

Message 9 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Yes, unusual for me too...
I must be missing something?

It may be @jonsie - speak for "go get a life!!!"  Smiley LOL