cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost/Stolen phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

My girlfriend was on a night out recently and she has either lost her phone or had it stolen at some point during the night,  she has a Samsung Galaxy S2 but doesn't have any tracking software installed on the phone.  Is there any way that we can track/trace her mobile through a laptop, I've told her to report it to the police but there wont be much they can do and from working on nightclub front doors I know the chances of getting the phone back are around 5%.

So are there any folks out there can give me some advice on how we can try and recover/track/trace the phone through the laptops??

Many Thanks.

Message 1 of 20
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23994 Posts
  • 1046 Topics
  • 3773 Solutions

Is it a Pay Monthly phone? If so, it must be reported as lost or stolen to O2 and to the police as soon as possible. If it isn't reported, your girlfriend will be liable for any calls made on the phone prior to her reporting it lost or stolen, and that could turn into an enormous bill. If she still has the box it came in, it will have the IMEI number, and the phone can be made inoperable. As far as tracking it is concerned, there's not much, or in fact any chance of being able to do that if you had no tracking software on the phone, but it must be reported to O2 and to the police immediately. If it is a Pay and Go phone, reporting the IMEI number can still stop anyone putting another sim card in it, which will effectively turn it into a paperweight.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Bambino
  • 23994 Posts
  • 1046 Topics
  • 3773 Solutions

Is it a Pay Monthly phone? If so, it must be reported as lost or stolen to O2 and to the police as soon as possible. If it isn't reported, your girlfriend will be liable for any calls made on the phone prior to her reporting it lost or stolen, and that could turn into an enormous bill. If she still has the box it came in, it will have the IMEI number, and the phone can be made inoperable. As far as tracking it is concerned, there's not much, or in fact any chance of being able to do that if you had no tracking software on the phone, but it must be reported to O2 and to the police immediately. If it is a Pay and Go phone, reporting the IMEI number can still stop anyone putting another sim card in it, which will effectively turn it into a paperweight.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool, Thanks, we will get in contact with O2 to get the phone shut off, and i kinda thought it would be a no go without tracking software installed on it.

Once again, thanks for the advice

Message 3 of 20

Bambino
  • 23994 Posts
  • 1046 Topics
  • 3773 Solutions

No problem. The numbers for O2 are in the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good sound advice from Bambino there.

The phone will be imei blocked which will hold as long as the phone is in the Uk.
Message 5 of 20

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Let us know how you get on after you've called them rs_cosworth9 slight_smile

Thanks for the great advice Bambino.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 6 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had my Galaxy S2 stolen too. Had the SIM & IMEI blocked. One concern though, can the person(s) in possession of it still view the phones files (not stored on memory card), like music, photos etc?

Message 7 of 20

Bambino
  • 23994 Posts
  • 1046 Topics
  • 3773 Solutions

Nothing is foolproof, but it would take a great deal of effort to get anything off the phone once it is blocked. Most thieves are just interested in stealing phones and selling them on, if they haven't been blocked.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 20

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 126008 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

Bambino is absolutely spot on with her advice. My daughter lost hers last week, immediate call to O2 blocked not only the number but the phone itself. Someone on this forum said it would only be useful as a doorstop!! (while it was in the UK)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 20

Bambino
  • 23994 Posts
  • 1046 Topics
  • 3773 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Bambino is absolutely spot on with her advice. My daughter lost hers last week, immediate call to O2 blocked not only the number but the phone itself. Someone on this forum said it would only be useful as a doorstop!! (while it was in the UK)

Wrong gender, but you're forgiven. wink

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 20