cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving 02....

Anonymous
Not applicable
......or am I, that's what I need to find out.

Phoned up on Friday looking for a new deal and asked for the Xperia X10. Adviser called up my details and went through my offers;

1)300mins, unlimited texts, unlimited Data for £35 per month and £49 for the handset.
2)100mins, unlimited texts, unlimited Data for £30 per month and £99 for the handset.

Well cheesed off!!!!!!

Now, I am not a big user. I average 150-200mins per month and I sent around 500 text messages. I tend to take more calls than I make and prefer to text. My average bill is around £30 per month as I am currently on an 'online 45' package with 600mins, unlimited texts and unlimited data for £27 per month. I have been with 02 as a monthly customer for 5 years and went through serious hassle with my last contract as I had to return 7 C905's over a 3 month period. I thought that this might of give me some bargaining space.

Now for the actual question!

I have spotted some better deals with some mobile phone agents on the 02 network. If I take one of these, will I have to request a PAC code or will my number and account still be with 02? I have never done this before so I am a little confused.

Is it worth phoning back and trying for a better offer or am I wasting my time as I am classed as a small fish in their big greedy pond?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm going to assume you've been speaking with 'upgrades' they can only quote you the published prices.

The department you need to speak with are called 'retentions'. Call 202 and choose the options for 'if you're thinking of leaving us' and when you get through to somebody just ask if they're a retentions advisor.

Just let them know the deal you've seen and see what they can offer you.

If you take out a deal with mobiles.co.uk or similar you'll need to start from scratch with them and port your number over.
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Some retailers will just be able to upgrade you without the need for a PAC code or anything. You have indeed been offered a standard deal and not a retention deal, but don't expect anything much from retentions. Having 7 faulty C905's in the past would make no difference with the upgrade (it's a fault with the handset and not the network). Also, if the X10 went faulty and you took it from a retailer, don't expect much.
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm going to assume you've been speaking with 'upgrades' they can only quote you the published prices.
The department you need to speak with are called 'retentions'. Call 202 and choose the options for 'if you're thinking of leaving us' and when you get through to somebody just ask if they're a retentions advisor.
Just let them know the deal you've seen and see what they can offer you.
If you take out a deal with mobiles.co.uk or similar you'll need to start from scratch with them and port your number over.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I always bypass upgrades and go straight to retentions by selecting 2 on the choices. This is why I was so surprised that they were unwilling to even give me the free data bolt-on. If they had of given me the £35 a month contract with the free bolt-on, I would of been more than happy to take it. That's a saving of £5 per month for a service that I occasionally use. Hardly trying to bankrupt them, huh?
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Some retailers will just be able to upgrade you without the need for a PAC code or anything. You have indeed been offered a standard deal and not a retention deal, but don't expect anything much from retentions. Having 7 faulty C905's in the past would make no difference with the upgrade (it's a fault with the handset and not the network). Also, if the X10 went faulty and you took it from a retailer, don't expect much.

Good point.

This is why I wanted to ask the question in the hope for such feedback. Before I upgraded my last phone I seen a deal on one of the retailers that beat everyone else hand down. I took it and started to get concerned to did some research on the level of customer service that I would expect. A quick Google of the retailer told me that I would be expecting lengthy waits, poor service and that I could face a long wait or problems with the free gift that they were offering. I got on the phone and stopped the order straight away.

TBH, I would prefer to stay with O2. Firstly, its easy to upgrade and continue on with a new package and secondly, my wife uses an O2 PAYG and has the friends and family bolt-on. If I changed to another network, then it would cost her to phone and text me. Hmmmmmm, I could be on to something there.....peace and quiet. grin
Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Retentions deals are poor this time around, especially if you had a decent deal last time.

My deal was £30 for 1200 mins etc but I purchased 2 bolt ons, so I still paid £45pm and often went a tad over, a couple of time had bills over £100 yet I was told their profit on me meant I could get an extra 200mins free (on a 600min deal) and thats it. I took it because savings are minor on the other networks and I got a good O2 broadband deal but quite poor.
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Update!

Wanted an 18 month contract as that is what I am currently on. However, took a 24 month contract because they offered me the phone for free, 800mins, unlimited text and data for £35 per month (inclusive of data bolt-on). The extra 6 months won't bother me as I take care of my phones. My current handset (Pixon M8800) is like brand new and will either serve as a suitable backup or make me a few quid by selling it on.

Happy enough as £35 per month was the limit I set myself and I get the phone that I wanted. Can't justify paying above that for the usage that I have.
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Update!
Wanted an 18 month contract as that is what I am currently on. However, took a 24 month contract because they offered me the phone for free, 800mins, unlimited text and data for £35 per month (inclusive of data bolt-on). The extra 6 months won't bother me as I take care of my phones. My current handset (Pixon M8800) is like brand new and will either serve as a suitable backup or make me a few quid by selling it on.
Happy enough as £35 per month was the limit I set myself and I get the phone that I wanted. Can't justify paying above that for the usage that I have.

Great news slight_smile
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Level 9: Fired up
  • 1487 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Good to hear.
I got my wife's X10 for 2yrs @ £35/month (600m/unl txt/unl data) so I was wondering what the hell was going on. When you said about 18 months it all made sense.
Message 9 of 9