Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming text message charged as outgoing when abroad

Jonam
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Has anyone else come across being charged for an outgoing text message when receiving an incoming text message when roaming outside the EU?
I’ve had this on two occasions (Japan and USA) where O2 have charged me an outgoing text for an incoming text.
They’ve refunded me each time, but insist that their billing system is infallible and I must have sent a text.
Anyone else seen this?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Never had a problem myself in either Japan or the US. If the charges are the exact times as the incoming texts then it shows something untoward is happening. Ask O2 to investigate even if they have refunded the charges. Incidentally, how much were the charges?

Message 2 of 5

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Jonam 

It can also depend on the phone.

An iPhone,for example, will send a silent text to register on a new network for facetime and iMessage. If abroad and outside the EU, you would be charged for this.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 5

Jonam
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
The times of the messages don’t match up precisely with the incoming texts (but the day and number seem to).y For instance in Japan I activated my O2 SIM once in the middle to check for any texts and got one from O2 telling me my bill was ready.
Checking my bill a few days later there was a charge for an outgoing text for 41p on that day.
In the USA it was two authentication texts and two outgoing text charges on that day.
It was using an iPhone , but a different iPhone in the two trips
Message 4 of 5

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Jonam 

As the messages are handled by an international network there's no guarantee that the times are exact. 

It could be the time the foreign network billed O2 and not the time sent. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 5