Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISP Data Link Speed?

TerryP
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Can anyone advise how I find out the Maximum Data Link Speed of my Local O2 Mast?

I have a Fancy New 4G Router. My understanding is that it's meant to be able to use 2 Data Channels concurrently from the mast and therefore double the available Data Speed, but it's slower than my old mobile, using same mast!  I've hit a Brick wall with TP-Link  who say my ISP (o2) are likely limiting the Link Speed ???

Does anyone have any idea how I would look this up / check with o2.?

Any help much appreciated.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10215 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3013 Solutions

@TerryP 

What TP-Link Router do you have?  
What bands does it pick Signal up on?

As normally to use 2 data channels you have to have 2 sim cards for data aggregation, and then it will pipe them to one data stream, which can cause problems with split routing.. 

The max speed of your local mast is dependent on usage, max backhaul connection, whether it is is Lease Line Backhaul or Microwave backhaul

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 10

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6640 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1492 Solutions

Of course, as well as the information outlined by @madasaf1sh, there is no guarantee you will stay connected to one mast. My connection can swing between three and my data speeds change accordingly.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 10

TerryP
  • 5 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well, I've used the individual reply button a couple of times now with some detailed info and dont know what happens but it does not end up here. So am commenting on the Reply to Topic button this time to see if it sticks!  Updatye - after an exaustive day, talking (waitng mainly ..!) to "tech's" from TP-Link, O2 and TechAgents (they sold me the SIM Contract) I have concluded that 

LTE-A, LTE-Advanced, 4G+, and LTE+

is simply NOT available in my area. The biggest frustration was talking to 02 support (based in India?) who did not seem to understand that various flavours of 4G can exist - trying to explain to them and sending them info on the subject is the wrong way around!!

Anyhow - for time being resigned to fact I'm stuck with 4G LTE and its unlikely I'll see that improve in my area anytime soon.

One final thought - it would be great if anyone knows of / can supply a link to a Mast Map that Not only shows locations, but also what the masts support?

Thanks, regards and Happy Xmas / Festive period!

Terry Palmer

Message 4 of 10

Enlli
  • 6640 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1492 Solutions

4G+ (LTE+ is basically the same) is missing from Vast swathes of the O2 network too many 800Mhz sites with 1OMhz bandwidth. Cheaper to build, wider coverage but poor capacity.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 5 of 10

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5853 Posts
  • 100 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

Enlli
  • 6640 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1492 Solutions

Cellmapper has my nearest tower as being in the lake at the golf course, only half a mile out, but the the others are missing completely.

Message 7 of 10

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5853 Posts
  • 100 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Enlli 

I think that's because Cellmapper is put together using user data rather than professionally. Hence, completeness and accuracy depend on a user having surveyed the area recently. 

Nevertheless, it is generally good ; but with gaps ! 😃

Message 8 of 10

TerryP
  • 5 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've now tried Cellmapper - thankyou.

For my area - Mast Location accuracy seems pretty good and although a little clunky (mainly due to my knackered Adenoid Phone!) it does provide confirmation that my whole area is only covered by Band#20.

Only in the Larger Towns / Cities do I see multi band masts....

So with that confirmed, can anyone pull a Rabbit from the Hat and point me to info on if / when Multi Band "upgrades" might be rolling out across East Anglia?

AS EVER - many thanks for any crumbs! 

Message 9 of 10

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10215 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3013 Solutions

@TerryP 

No one on here will have the foggiest I am afraid, and unfortunately upgrading mast requires planning permission as they need to install new hardware and we all know what NIMBY's are like... 

All you can do is keep trying....

If you know an Enterprise Account Holder  they might be able to find out, but no guarantees

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 10 of 10