Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failing Eligibility Check on 2nd line

ramjam2005
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've put this under Volt as all the following problems have occurred due to being enticed by Virginmedia Retentions to take an O2 Volt SIM as part of a retentions bundle offer for my Broadband, TV service.

After the below farce, I tried to purchase a second SIM plan yesterday for my wife via O2 tele-sales which failed on the Eligibility Check step. HOW ? having already successfully been accepted fo my O2 Volt plan ?

So, this is the full story.  On 6th July Virginmedia retentions (off-shore) sold me a new 18th month contract to include an O2 Volt SIM only contract for an addition £6 p/mth to include unlimited minutes/text and 6GB data doubled to 12GB with Volt. I had mentioned that I would also need a second SIM plan for my wife as both our lines are linked in one account with my present provider, so I was informed I could do this once my O2 Volt Account was in place and linked as a Virginmedia customer.

When I got the O2 confirmation paperwork it turned out I was actually given just 3GB doubled to 6GB - NOT what I was sold ! I contacted O2 Customer services who confirmed that NO Volt plan exists for 6GB doubled to 12GB for that monthly payment of £6 - it was for 3GB doubled to 6GB.

I then contacted Virginmedia retentions to lodge a complaint of mis-selling as they confirmed the account notes completed by the sales person clearly stated 6GB double to 12GB. Things just snow-balled from there with no one in Virginmedia taking ownership of the problem or correcting it. Nor did O2 assist , other than offering alternative plans at much higher prices. Official complaints were lodged with both O2 AND Virginmedia.

The physical SIM I ordered still hadn't arrived 7 days after so customer service re-ordered another SIM.

I even received a first bill on MY O2  2 days after the mis-selling for part monthly payment of £5.61, with still no sign of a SIM after 11 days.

As things dragged on I was mindful of the 14 day cooling off period reducing day by day so with NO resolution in sight I cancelled my direct debit informing the O2 correspondence team in writing of my actions and returning the SIM stating I had no intention to pay any part payment due to the mis-selling and cancelling my contract within the 14 days cooling off period via O2 Volt Retentions.

Eventually after numerous calls back n forth with Virginmedia and O2 Retentions, Virginmedia agreed they would arrange a rolling monthly credit on their side for the difference between the original mis-sold £6 and a new contracted monthly payment to be taken out with O2 Volt.

The original O2 contract / account was closed on 18th July having spoke with Complaints at O2. They also reversed/credited the outstanding first bill amount of £5.61 to leave a zero balance. 

I was then offered a replacement SIM plan for £15 with 15GB doubled to 30GB. Once again, No SIM appeared after 5 workings days and speaking with a UK based customer complaints service agent it appears it had only been set up for an E-Sim. They re-ordered a new physical SIM which arrived 31st July and I activated it yesterday, 1st Aug.

So now with an active O2 SIm plan it was at this point I tried to purchase a second O2 Volt SIm for my wife and encountered the Eligibility Check failure.

I am sure that somewhere there is a flag/marker in the O2 system due to the original mis-sold Sim plan and a missed payment as MY O2 still shows BOTH the original Closed account AND my new account for the second active £15 Sim plan and mobile number. 

I was advised by an O2 Retentions agent that instead of a second SIM plan on my account, My wife could purchase an O2 Sim in her own name to avoid these Eligibility issues. He even kindly phoned back when she arrived home to take my wife through the purchase process and guess what ?.. She also failed on the Eligibility Check stage !! 

I have checked my credit file with BOTH Equifax and Experian with no warnings / Alerts or adverse markers both with the maximum credit scoring. We even tried via an O2 Volt online purchase link only for that too to fail on Eligibility as seen in below screenshot, What the hell is going on ? I'm sure the Closed account is still affecting this so not allowing a THIRD purchase. I have decided to call O2 in the morning and once again cancel the active Sim Plan as I am still within my 14 days cooling off and dis-associated myself from O2 or any of their products in the future having suffered a month of headaches and numerous lengthy phone calls with various off-shore staff that don't seem to know what they are doing or have their own agenda to achieve sales targets.

Screenshot O2.png

Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 125613 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7546 Solutions

@ramjam2005 

If Virginmedia/O2 have refused your requests on the eligibility checks then there is no advice we can give you here. Sorry about that.

It seems that you have made numerous attempts to get a new sim both for yourself and your wife and this will certainly raise a flag against you once refused.  Normal advice would have been to wait a month before making further applications. Once 'computer says no' I'm afraid that's it and you have to wait.

It wouldn't help that you cancelled your direct debit and I'm sure the closed account is still affecting this as it's all been done in such a short space of time.

I hope eventually this is sorted for you @ramjam2005 

Best of luck.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 125613 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7546 Solutions

@ramjam2005 

If Virginmedia/O2 have refused your requests on the eligibility checks then there is no advice we can give you here. Sorry about that.

It seems that you have made numerous attempts to get a new sim both for yourself and your wife and this will certainly raise a flag against you once refused.  Normal advice would have been to wait a month before making further applications. Once 'computer says no' I'm afraid that's it and you have to wait.

It wouldn't help that you cancelled your direct debit and I'm sure the closed account is still affecting this as it's all been done in such a short space of time.

I hope eventually this is sorted for you @ramjam2005 

Best of luck.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 3

ramjam2005
  • 4 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I was perfectly within my rights to refuse paying for an O2 product and cancelling the DD that was mis-sold from the Virginmedia channel and for which I hadn't even received a SIM. What has compounded it is the fact that NO ONE at O2 seemed to understand the issue or how to correctly resolve it. Every call I made back to O2 I was passed from pillar to post with a different agent with each trying in their way to request a new SIM or a corrected plan/tariff. During 1 call I had been passed to FIVE different agents within 30 mins whilst holding on the Iine. I even had to speak over one agent yesterday to try and stop him going ahead to try yet another process through the Eligibility Checker even after I had explained the background to my issue. It doesn't help that Virginmedia and O2 DON'T communicate between each other to resolve the issue but simply dump the customer to play piggy-in-the-middle to get on with it in resolving an issue of their making, yet they are both of one holding company - Telefonica! Totally pathetic and the most unprofessional customer service I have ever experienced.

Message 3 of 3