cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPHONE 6S 18 MONTHS OLD CONSUMER RIGHTS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Just a quick question here that I'm hoping someone may have the answer to.

I have an 02 contract which is currently 18 months in of a 24 month contract.

Yesterday, my IPhone 6S (£600 iPhone purchased through 02 via 24 month contract) packed up and stopped working.!

I have spent an entire day chasing after 02 and Apple for answers to which none say the same.

3 trips into the 02 store to be told that I'm out of luck as the warranty is only 12 months, 2 trips into Apple to be told that the phone has a hardware fault and if I had bought the phone from them directly, they would replace the phone there and then as I have consumer rights.

02 told me that my consumer rights are only valid for the first 2 weeks of buying the £600 Iphone.

Apple eventually wrote me up an engineers report saying it was faulty due to hardware issues, it is said the phone needs a direct replacement at a cost of £280(ish) and that 02 should replace the phone under the consumer laws....

02's reply was that I either paid to repair the phone myself (outside of Apple warranty) or use my insurance and pay half the costs + excess...

I'm sorry to seem like I am rambling but surely if you buy a £600 top of the range Iphone on a 24 month contract, you would expect that phone to last atleast the 24 month period in order for it to be "fit for purpose"?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
this user has rights but falls with apple not the network.. as i had issues with my 6s and had to go to apple direct to get the phone sorted when it had a hardware fault
Message 11 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Jollygreengiant.

My phone is 18 months old, I still have 6 months left to pay 02 on my contract.
My phone is now completely dead.

I have been to Apple and they told me if I had bought the phone DIRECTLY from them, they would have given me a free replacement even tho it's 18 months old and up to 24 months, because I would be covered by the consumer rights law.

However.... Apple said that because I bought their phone from 02, they could only give the 12 month warranty but the consumer laws still apply to 02 who should also replace the phone within the 24 months of my contract.

They advised me to go into the 02 shop and tell them my rights but I was just swiftly told to do one.
Message 12 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

has it been exposed to Moisture or water that has caused the phone to die?? have you had the phone "jail Broken"?? what did ytou last do or instal on the handset?

Message 13 of 37

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Some advice from Which here @Anonymous

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you MI5, I will certainly do my best.!

JollyGreenGiant, yesterday it all started when my phone said it had a phone jack inserted (when there wasn't) so the sound would not play.

Then I got a warning saying that the fingerprint facility is no longer available.

Then by battery dropped from 80% to 3% in a matter of seconds.

Then the touchscreen stopped working correctly and the phone began to lag and working very slowly.

Then the phone reset itself, about 5 times.
It would eventually come back on showing only 3% battery (even tho it had been on charge for hours)
The phone would only work for roughly 30 seconds and then reset again.

Now the phone does not work at all.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your time.
Message 15 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's probably because o2 are the retailer that sold you the contract & phone where as Apple made the handset & didn't sell it to you themselves but stand your ground
Message 16 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
granted but we still dont know what the fault is or how it has happend so we still dont know if it falls under the manufacture T's and C's im not trying to be awkward but we still dont know the facts
Message 17 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
Never been jail broken and was not subjected to water.

It's very weird.

I hadn't installed any apps for sometime.
Message 18 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

have you down loaded anything from a 3rd party on a game or an app or facebook or email etc??

Message 19 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

its sounds very much like an internal software failure and Apple should uphold their policy and repair the phone they wont replace it but should repair it and that will unfortuantly mean leaving the phone with them you just need to phone apple and book your self in at your nearest apple store thats all you can do! and that is within your rights!!! 

Message 20 of 37