cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPHONE 6S 18 MONTHS OLD CONSUMER RIGHTS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Just a quick question here that I'm hoping someone may have the answer to.

I have an 02 contract which is currently 18 months in of a 24 month contract.

Yesterday, my IPhone 6S (£600 iPhone purchased through 02 via 24 month contract) packed up and stopped working.!

I have spent an entire day chasing after 02 and Apple for answers to which none say the same.

3 trips into the 02 store to be told that I'm out of luck as the warranty is only 12 months, 2 trips into Apple to be told that the phone has a hardware fault and if I had bought the phone from them directly, they would replace the phone there and then as I have consumer rights.

02 told me that my consumer rights are only valid for the first 2 weeks of buying the £600 Iphone.

Apple eventually wrote me up an engineers report saying it was faulty due to hardware issues, it is said the phone needs a direct replacement at a cost of £280(ish) and that 02 should replace the phone under the consumer laws....

02's reply was that I either paid to repair the phone myself (outside of Apple warranty) or use my insurance and pay half the costs + excess...

I'm sorry to seem like I am rambling but surely if you buy a £600 top of the range Iphone on a 24 month contract, you would expect that phone to last atleast the 24 month period in order for it to be "fit for purpose"?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you so much MI5.

That link explains a lot.

The phone is in near prestine condition, even the guru commented on its condition.

It's never been dropped and it's always lived in a Tech21 protector and screen protector.

The phone has literally just given up.

I also forgot to mention that occasionally when the phone reset and turned back on, it showed 100% battery but would then reset again (on its own) and come back on with 1%.
Message 21 of 37

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Never been jail broken and was not subjected to water.

It's very weird.

I hadn't installed any apps for sometime.

I'm sure as Apple have inspected it and deemed it a hardware issue there's nothing for you to concern yourself with as to "why".

Sometimes stuff breaks, simple as and I'm sure CAB will assist you with a repair or replacement item.

Don't forget that you can always raise a complaint with O2 and escalate to the Ombudsman if not properly resolved.

https://www.resolver.co.uk/

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
I done all that today Jolly.

Had an appointment with a Guru,

He gave me a engineers report that stated the phone was suffering from a hardware fault and could not do diagnosis because the phone kept resetting and failing.
Message 23 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

okay so they have it logged their fore they should repair and fix 

Message 24 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've not downloaded anything at all recently.

The last thing I was doing when it failed was doing a Facebook with my friend.

I will go to CAB first thing.

Guru wrote "We have advised customer to return to network carrier to proceed with consumer law"

"Hardware issue with device and device swap out of warranty recommended"
Message 25 of 37

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10114 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2995 Solutions
This is the typical clap trap from Apple, as they are responsible for manufacture of a product that should last more than 12 months, and are jointly responsible under EU law.

Apple are quite well know for their total disregard for consumer law past the 12mth warranty period.

CAB will refer you to Trading Standards.

http://www.ukecc.net/consumer-topics/consumer-rights-act-2015-goods.cfm
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 26 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the link Madasaf1sh.

I will read through that very carefully.

Apple have shown very little interest to help so far, hopefully a trip to CAB tomorrow will clear this up.
Message 27 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is all the phone does now, has to be plugged in for this to happen, when its not plugged in it doesn't do anything.

occasionally the phone will work for about 30 seconds and then start doing this again.

its beyond repairI think. 😂

Message 28 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

So sorry Louise, 

Mobile companies are big bullies only after the monthly subscription service and holding you hostage to contracts for a comparitively tiny discount off the equipment.   

I don't believe Apple would produce hardware in order to fail prematurely in order to force customers to upgrade;  that would be very shortsighted and certainly consumers would catch on very quickly. That excuse sounded like an unhappy employee tossing off a quick response as if to reinvigorate his/her lack of knowledge!  

At this point, I'd recommend only dealing directly with Apple and I would even go ahead and pay them a modest fee to repair the phone in order to keep it at least for a couple more years.  I'm sure their work comes with a warranty.  This is how I would deal with it!  

Best of Luck,

Haig A.  

Message 29 of 37

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

This is a grey area.

if you buy direct from apple, then apple as long as you know your consumer rights replace it or repair it.

o2 offer 12 months warranty as so do apple, then your on your own.

you then have to prove at your cost to o2 that it's a fault or hardware fault and not damaged in any way by you, that's the grey area consumer law.

Apple don't have to replace it as you didn't get it from them, again grey area in the law.

if you can get apple to write you a full explanation exoneration your of damage then o2 under consumer law has to investigate. Again may be at your cost.  However your won't get that of apple, so you either have to write a complaints into both apple or o2 or see what happens.

but I've had same issue and it was a night mare.  In the end I gave up, not because I wanted to, but because it was going to cost me more money to fight it to get it fixed.

i can advise if you send it of via o2 for investigation it will come back saying water damage or something.  You need to ask for photographic evidence and the. Request your phone back.  It's then up to you to prove other wise.

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 30 of 37