Anonymous
Not applicable
huray handset prices pretty much the same as orange

">http://shop.o2.co.uk/new-iphone/tariffs.html]
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
I won't be buying the Iphone 4 immediately. I would rather wait until the end of my existing contract which is only another nine weeks. By then I will be in a far better position to see whether there are any immediate issues I should be aware of before upgrading to it and I would like to see real people road testing it, using it and reviewing it before I commit myself to a 24 month contract with o2, I can also see whether the other networks are able to offer a better deal to entice me to go with them as opposed to o2.
Message 21 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Whilst this doesn't look too bad for new customers, I'm disappointed that existing o2 iPhone customers have to pay off their remaining contracts and a minimum of £29 for the handset on a £45 per month tariff. I think they could have sweetened the deal somehow.

Why should they? You quite happily signed up for your existing contract. The contract is legally binding and it's YOU who wants to break it and upgrade early so you can get your hands on the iPhone 4...? I think O2 have been very fair with their early upgrade offer.
If people actually had the patience to wait for things, then there wouldn't be this issue anyway would there! Can't believe the amount of people who think they're being treated unfairly by O2, just because they're expected to pay off their existing contract (at a reduced rate, I might add)... Read your terms and conditions, it quite clearly states that if you want to end the contract early then you have to pay the monthly amount for any period of time you have outstanding on it. It's in black and white.
O2 aren't forcing you to take the early upgrade deal and they're well within their rights to tell customers to bugger off and wait until their contract comes to an end, or pay the FULL amount outstanding in order to be able to come out of it early. Am I missing something?

Fair point, but having been an o2 customer for 10 years and an iPhone customer since November 2007, I believe I've shown enough loyalty to them with regard to contracts. Could they not offer existing customers an option to upgrade their iPhone under their existing contract at a fair price?
Message 22 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Whilst this doesn't look too bad for new customers, I'm disappointed that existing o2 iPhone customers have to pay off their remaining contracts and a minimum of £29 for the handset on a £45 per month tariff. I think they could have sweetened the deal somehow.

Why should they? You quite happily signed up for your existing contract. The contract is legally binding and it's YOU who wants to break it and upgrade early so you can get your hands on the iPhone 4...? I think O2 have been very fair with their early upgrade offer.
If people actually had the patience to wait for things, then there wouldn't be this issue anyway would there! Can't believe the amount of people who think they're being treated unfairly by O2, just because they're expected to pay off their existing contract (at a reduced rate, I might add)... Read your terms and conditions, it quite clearly states that if you want to end the contract early then you have to pay the monthly amount for any period of time you have outstanding on it. It's in black and white.
O2 aren't forcing you to take the early upgrade deal and they're well within their rights to tell customers to bugger off and wait until their contract comes to an end, or pay the FULL amount outstanding in order to be able to come out of it early. Am I missing something?

Fair point, but having been an o2 customer for 10 years and an iPhone customer since November 2007, I believe I've shown enough loyalty to them with regard to contracts. Could they not offer existing customers an option to upgrade their iPhone under their existing contract at a fair price?

OR ... Better still, why not go back to the old fashioned 12 month contract ... That's roughly how often new iPhones are released. I wouldn't mind paying more per month than struggling to buy out of half used 24 month contract and then more to get the handset!
Message 23 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

They ARE offering existing customers the option to upgrade early at a fair price. Hence the £20 per month for each month outstanding business, instead of making you pay it off in full. They subsidise the cost of the handsets in your monthly price, and they have to recoup the cost (and make a profit - after all, they are a business) somehow..?
Message 24 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
OR ... Better still, why not go back to the old fashioned 12 month contract ... That's roughly how often new iPhones are released. I wouldn't mind paying more per month than struggling to buy out of half used 24 month contract and then more to get the handset!

That's a good point. I wouldn't mind paying a little extra either if it meant I could upgrade every 12 months, rather than every 18/24

slight_smile
Message 25 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a good point. I wouldn't mind paying a little extra either if it meant I could upgrade every 12 months, rather than every 18/24
slight_smile

It makes more sense to go back to a 12 month contract doesn't it!

It is well known that premium items often make less profit for companies, who see them as an opportunity to boost their status and market position. I'm sure o2 are doing well enough to subsidise loyal iPhone customers, who have helped them to maintain their position in the market.
Message 26 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think the problem could also be that when O2 got the 3G they allowed exsisting customers to upgrade from the 2G to the 3G for free, but thats not the case this time.

Basically O2 have realised that they missed a trick last time round as there were many customers who had just signed up for the original iPhone, then were offered the 3G on a new contract without paying a termination fee, kept the 2G, sold it on and didn't have to stump up anything for it.
Message 27 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think the problem could also be that when O2 got the 3G they allowed exsisting customers to upgrade from the 2G to the 3G for free, but thats not the case this time.
Basically O2 have realised that they missed a trick last time round as there were many customers who had just signed up for the original iPhone, then were offered the 3G on a new contract without paying a termination fee, kept the 2G, sold it on and didn't have to stump up anything for it.

Remember the good old days when you returned your phone to the provider for an upgrade at the end of your contract?

I'm sure o2 and Apple could make even more money by refurbishing and selling returned iPhones.
Message 28 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

Remember the good old days when you returned your phone to the provider for an upgrade at the end of your contract?
I'm sure o2 and Apple could make even more money by refurbishing and selling returned iPhones.

:robotindifferent: Now there is an idea slight_smile
Message 29 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
i think iphone customers already get preferrential treatment, i dont get the option of ending my contract early and cheaper when SE release a new handset!
Message 30 of 32