cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are high handset prices a security risk to owners?

Anonymous
Not applicable

So we've got an increasing number of flagship phones at £800-£1000 retail.

Good news if you own shares in the manufacturers as the company earns a bigger margin per unit sold.

However one thing always concerns me.

Given that phone owners tend to wander round staring down at their phones oblivious to what is going on around them (a bugbear of mine along with people looking at their phone while engaged in conversation)  I do wonder if it's going to exacerbate the problem of theft?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92930 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I'm not sure there be an increase, mobile thefts have been big money for years though anyone walking around showing a flagship phone (yes iphone users I mean you) runs the risk of mugging or a snatch. I do despair when I see people holding up expensive devices to take a photo. Thieves need no encouragement and will target you, a thief is a thief though and will take any phone whether it's a top end or medium price range. People need to think about waving a phone around.

Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to agree. Yes they are more susceptible to thieves but I’m not one to take selfies etc. My phone is just that. A phone & my music device 

Message 3 of 15

Class40
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I own a huawei p20pro, p10plus and p9plus, the first 2 i use and the p9 plus is in reserve. I would not get any of them out while in my town centre of wellingborough, though ive never had a phone since I first had one in 1999. Never had phone insurance, never needed it. It is a concern having a device that is worth £6-£700 in your pocket, but key as always is to be careful when using your phone and where, and the risk will be minimised. I will say this however, and its a sad reflection on the uk - I went to Russia for a holiday in June during the world cup, to st petersburg (5th time to Russia since 2009) and I feel far safer there than I do in my own town or country using my phone in public.

Message 4 of 15

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

I avoid using my phone in public unless it's absolutely necessary. I don't want to risk having it snatched. It amazes me the fools that walk around with their phones in their hands all the time and then wonder why their phones are snatched.

Then there are those that sit in restaurants with their phones on the table so anyone walking by can pick it up. Honestly, what are they thinking. I was in TGI Fridays this afternoon and the number of phones on tables, expensive looking phones, was amazing.

Trouble is a lot of people like showing off their new phones, and yes @jonsie many are iPhone users. You're just asking for your phone to be snatched if you do that.

I use my phone for everything but I use it at home. When I'm out I don't need my phone and it's switched off. Anyone rings me that's what voicemail's for. I don't take selfies or photos of my surroundings. So my phone never needs to come out of my bag. And I've never had a phone snatched yet.

Nothing is foolproof but if you walk round waving your phone about or leave it sitting openly on a restaurant table you are asking someone to nick it.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 5 of 15

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22950 Posts
  • 1024 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Phones were stolen when the top price was £500. The price increase is immaterial. I think most phone theft is opportunistic. Phones do get snatched when people are walking and texting. That isn't going to stop any time soon. I agree with @Glory1. If you leave your phone lying about on a table in a coffee shop or restaurant, you're asking for it to be stolen. If you need to use your phone, use it then put it in a safe place.

Having an expensive phone has become a status symbol, and people leave them out for that reason. It's going to invite thieves. If you don't protect it, you will lose it.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 15

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122395 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

This is all true.^^^^^^^

People wouldn't dream of leaving their purses or wallets sitting on the table in a bar or restaurant, yet something as expensive as a mobile phone seems to be an extension of their arm!

Today's society seems to be of the opinion that it's perfectly acceptable to sit down with a group of friends with a beer/wine in one hand and your mobile in the other.

It's laughable really. I wouldn't dream of going out on a social occasion and taking a book with me!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don’t listen to music on my iPhone, but I do remember being given a useful tip to lessen the likelihood of being targeted by thieves when you’re out and about. Swap the distinctive earphones that are supplied by Apple, and use an alternative brand that doesn’t give any specific clues about the device that you’re trying to conceal.

Some of you probably think that’s another reason not to buy Apple products wink

It’s easy to get paranoid though, and the important thing is that you’re adequately insured to begin with. And make use of free services like The National Property Register. The Police are recovering lost or stolen goods all the time, but not enough people bother to register their property. At the very least, it simplifies an insurance claim, because it provides proof of ownership. 

Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don’t tend to use the Apple supplied headphones. I prefer over the ear types
Message 9 of 15

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
I remember when I got my first and 2nd phone my dad said to me if anyone tried taking it off me then to smash it on floor so that I nore they can have it and becomes worthless if I'm in town I'll back up to the wall so I can see in front and sides of me to make call and never have I had a phone stollen of me
Message 10 of 15