cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Much/Many of your Mobile Functions do you Use?

Bill1945
Level 3: Thinker
  • 32 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Good Afternoon,

As I sat here today and admired the picturesque and photogenic winter scene outside my house (and took pictures with my mobile) I asked myself the following question:- how many of the functions of this magnificent device do you use? 

Including the default apps. I reckon that I use my phone extensively but the comms side much less than the calendar, calculator, camera and music. Toting that lot up I would say I use 75% of the phone functions.

I would really like other thoughts on the Subject.

Bill1945

Give the People a Voice
Message 1 of 71
70 REPLIES 70

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Like @Glory1 I use my phone for absolutely  everything. Circumstances dictated that all my possessions including two laptops are far away. I haven't used them for almost 12 months now and have relied on my phones to keep me in touch with the family and friends back home.

Do I use all the functions? Probably not. Unlike @Glory1 I have no time for games and I don't see the health built in app and only occasionally Word and only once Excel. As for PowerPoint, that was disabled and hidden when I got the phone.nor do I use Samsung music or Galaxy Apps.

Everything is on the two phones. In one phone I have O2 and EE sim cards and the other has my DTAC and TRUE sim cards. My UK phone has my Banking, Gas & Electric, My O2, My EE, all the UK TV ,Mobdro and Netflix, Virgin TV, UK national and local, all the social media, International phone, shopping, navigation and maps, two translation, three browser, one UK weather, one Thai weather, dual clocks,  Mightytext, mysms, music players, Dropbox and Drive apps. Not to mention Adobe and United Utilities as well as the housing association apps. All of them are used regularly even the Samsung Remote tv control. Without my phone I would be living in the wild, living off the land and catching fish.

My Thai phone has all the related banking and tv stuff plus of course the apps I use to keep in touch with my wife and various others and Skype. In fact all things Thai.

So yes I'm totally reliant on mobiles.

Message 11 of 71

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

@Trust me to make a sweeping generalisation, @Glory1 wink

Well @pgn there's always got to be one bu**er hasn't there LOL

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 12 of 71

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36073 Posts
  • 229 Topics
  • 1604 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:

Well @pgn there's always got to be one bu***er hasn't there LOL

... bubbler? tongue_winking @Glory1

Message 13 of 71

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Mmmm not even close @pgn 😂

Message 14 of 71

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@jonsie you've mentioned some apps I've actually disabled as I have no use for them. Word, Powerpoint, Excel and the Health app. I don't use Samsung music, as I rely totally on Amazon, nor do I use the Galaxy apps all hidden away. Also forgot my British Gas app which I do use to pay my bill and is in the secure folder.

I also didn't mention that I pay my rent using digital banking, order my shopping through Waitrose.com and get my laundry collected and delivered using Whatsapp, again all through my phone.

The only thing I don't use my phone for is controlling my TV or my heating. My God, I dread to think what my life would be like without my phone Crazy

This thread makes interesting reading as I see how others use their phones.

Message 15 of 71

Cleoriff
  • 123045 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:

Must be butter then? I can't imagine @Glory1 using a swear word....Whistle

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 71

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Glory1 wrote:

Must be butter then? I can't imagine @Glory1 using a swear word....Whistle

Oh yeah @Cleoriff because I'm such a lady Jaw-droppingLOL

Message 17 of 71

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36073 Posts
  • 229 Topics
  • 1604 Solutions
Or changing the number of asterisks in between the u and the e... open_mouth
Message 18 of 71

Cleoriff
  • 123045 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:

This thread makes interesting reading as I see how others use their phones.

it does make interesting reading when you see what others use their phones for and remember that you use a few of those apps as well. wink

I use a couple of flight tracker apps.Planefinder and Flightaware. Planefinder allows you to track a flight from the minute it takes off to when it lands. Very handy when picking up friends and family from the airport. (It was a bit worrying for my husband though when suddenly my plane from Malaga went off radar as I was coming to land in Birmingham. He then saw it was diverted to Manchester due to fog) At least I could text him once landed to keep him updated. So my mobile was very handy on that occasion.

I do use the phone as an alarm clock but mute it for calls, texts and other notifications. . 

I use FilmOn. An app which allows you to watch UK TV channels when you have no access to a TV or are abroad.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 71

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I don't do social media, so when I upgraded my phone in 2016 to a OnePlus 3T I was pleasantly surprised to see that unlike other android phone manufacturers, I didn't have facebook, twitter, isntagram etc all pre-installed on the phone. You know, the apps the manufacturer "thinks" you want, but don't allow you to remove!!!

I use my phone for the obvious: Phone calls, texts, email, listening to music, the odd bit of web browsing, taking pictures, and the odd game.  Other than that, I access apps for shopping, checking the weather, news, O2 stuff (Priority and MyO2).

Thanks

Steve
Message 20 of 71