Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrades - Some benefits and some pitfalls

Skyhawk1010
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 150 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

The topic of upgrades is something that comes up fairly often on here and I thought it important to post some guidelines I think are appropriate to consider:

1) If you are happy with your handset after your contract has ended then keep it. But if you are on a standard contract rather than O2 Refresh make sure you switch to SIM Only. O2 are pretty unique in offering terms which split the cost of the handset from the airtime but there are standard O2 contracts out there as well. And O2 then reduce your tarrif accordingly Make sure you do check that.

2) All current UK imported iPhones accept their very latest O2 functions like 4G calling, WiFi calling and 4G+ compatibility. 

3) ANDROID HANDSETS IN CONTRAST HAVE TO BE O2 BRANDED TO BE FULLY COMPATIBLE WITH ALL O2 FUNCTIONS. THIS MEANS HANDSETS LIKE SONY XZ PREMIUM, HTC U11 etc HAVE TO BE SOURCED EITHER FROM O2 OR SECOND HAND FROM EBAY, CEX ETC. ANDROID HANDSETS FROM THIRD PARTIES LIKE CARPHONE WAREHOUSE FOR EXAMPLE ARE ‘INTERNATIONAL’ VERSIONS WITHOUT O2 BRANDING AND WONT HAVE 4G CALLING, WIFI CALLING ETC.

4) If you are looking to upgrade then do NOT demanding a ‘substantial cash discount’ on an iPhone X, a Samsung S9+ because you’re a ‘loyal’ customer. You’ve honoured your commitment..wow! You’ll get nowhere and just annoy the operator. There is absolutely NO MONEY in iPhone X handsets, demand is still high and stock is still (deliberately?) limited by Apple. Ditto S9+ and Samsung.

5) You might be able to do something if you have a multi handset account, in which case you can approach the Upgrades department..stay nice, stay polite and see what they can do .But again if iPhone X and S9+ then No4 applies.

6) Don’t expect any price match with competitors. O2 don’t price match and if you’re wanting an Android handset please remember point No 3

7) A top model handset will have several benefits not least be able to utilise all the latest O2 network functionality. A Sony XZ Premium for example will be able to utilise all the up and coming 2300mHz spectrum O2 has started to roll out..with a potential notable improvement in data speed and in reception. 

Best of luck and happy upgrading to all of those whom this applies to.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

I have been Sim Only for a few years now.

Yes I am lucky in that I can afford to buy my handsets outright and I always find the sim only contracts on O2 very reasonably priced. Even better when they have a sale or discounted tariff.

I was pleased to be able to upgrade mine when there was 50% off for 6 months.

The only other contract I had was a 24month standard. Never had Refresh at all wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 6

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

A useful post for those wanting a contract with a handset. Ever since I've been with O2 I've only ever been sim only. I've always managed to get a good deal through Řetentions but always shop around. To be honest the only reason I've stayed with an O2 contract was the benefits of TU whilst living abroad. Now that's gone I have absolutely no reason to stay with them at all.

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 144086 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

Useful reference topic. 

Thanks @Skyhawk1010

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 6

Pepper544
Level 1: Joiner
  • 17 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Interesting. What other features are do Android sets have other then the 4g calling and Wi-Fi calling (I never knew this was only from o2 phones)
Message 5 of 6

Skyhawk1010
  • 150 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Those are the two main ones.

An Unlocked EE branded Android handset for example will not display 4G+ no matter what SIM is inside it or whether theres 4G+ coverage.The O2  branded one will assuming theres 4G+ coverage. 

Message 6 of 6