Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hit & Miss 'notifications'

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes I get an email sayinging WispaRed7 has been mentioned on the forum

Sometimes I don't

It could possible be I've been de-friended ? ... Don't know

However, yesterday I realised had not received a notification from @Martin-O2 & only picked it up when I was getting up to date with Off Topic

Anyone else experiencing this ?

Is it a result of the 'New Look' Community Home Page(s) ?

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Thanks @Anonymous, @Cleoriff@Glory1@jonsie and @TallTrees for flagging this! I've raised with Lithium now that Private Messages, mentions and replies seem to randomly not trigger email notifications and as I get any update on the problem I'll let you know. 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 21 of 41

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10773 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hello @EmilieT

Thank you very much for your assistance in this matter.  Have a great week smiling

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 22 of 41

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123017 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

@EmilieT wrote:

Thanks @Anonymous, @Cleoriff@Glory1@jonsie and @TallTrees for flagging this! I've raised with Lithium now that Private Messages, mentions and replies seem to randomly not trigger email notifications and as I get any update on the problem I'll let you know. 

@EmilieTJust to clarify the part about PM's.... I do get email notifications (I know others don't)

MY problem is, we do not get any indication next to messages on the forum that we have a PM ..like so.

Since the new layout, the info that we have a PM or two, is now totally missing.

PM's.PNG

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 23 of 41

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144495 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions
As reported on day one of the new layout yet still unresolved.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 24 of 41

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Cleoriff @MI5

That's part of the feedback we've gathered, and as @Marjo mentioned in the main homepage feedback topic we're hoping to have a catch up soon with the wider team to look through everything you've reported so far (including this point), and clarify what we can work on next and when. slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 25 of 41

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25166 Posts
  • 812 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@EmilieT wrote:

@EmilieTJust to clarify the part about PM's.... I do get email notifications (I know others don't)

MY problem is, we do not get any indication next to messages on the forum that we have a PM ..like so.

Since the new layout, the info that we have a PM or two, is now totally missing.

PM's.PNG

@Cleoriffthat ^^^^^^^^ is so useful....

Hope, as @EmilieT said its been raised, that it`ll be re-established soon as it`ll make it so much easier

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 26 of 41

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Glory1 wrote:

I never read unread posts because, as I think you and several others have mentioned, it doesn't take you to the last post but the very beginning of the thread. A pain in the ......

Ah this is where we differ then. The part where it takes you to the start of the thread (or the last part you read earlier) is exactly how it should work.

I like to read EVERYTHING posted on the forum (whether I actually post on it or not) I  find that a great way to continue to learn new stuff, or remind myself of things I have forgotten.

I can also see if posts are in the correct section. If they aren't I can report them and ask for them to be moved.

It also helps when you see a new poster has given themself the solution when it should have gone to someone else.

So Unread posts are my way of checking on 'everything'...pretty much LOL

Edited to add: Some people rely heavily on notifications. I never read them at all. No point if I read every unread post.

Well I used a combination of notifications plus reading every new topic posted each day. I relied on notifications for posts on threads I'm subscribed to and the new topics for all the posts I'm not subscribed to. That way I also never missed anything and learned quite a bit.

Now it's a bit like a game of cat and mouse. And not a game I'm enjoying very much!!

But with notifications hit and miss, I'll have to read all the unread posts too and check messages as I'm not receiving emails for PMs as and when they're sent; in some cases no notifications for PMs at all.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 27 of 41

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10773 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@EmilieT wrote:

PM's.PNG

Hello @Cleoriff

Love the "artwork" ~ does get it across ~ and yes I support that even though it has been mentioned before ~ good it is mentioned again as nothing has happened.

Maybe you should put in for the new "banner" would have some meaning from youdizzy

Maybe the Community should put in their idea of the Banner Artwork ~ that would be interesting!Good Idea

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 28 of 41

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Glory1 wrote:

I never read unread posts because, as I think you and several others have mentioned, it doesn't take you to the last post but the very beginning of the thread. A pain in the ......

Ah this is where we differ then. The part where it takes you to the start of the thread (or the last part you read earlier) is exactly how it should work.

I like to read EVERYTHING posted on the forum (whether I actually post on it or not) I  find that a great way to continue to learn new stuff, or remind myself of things I have forgotten.

I can also see if posts are in the correct section. If they aren't I can report them and ask for them to be moved.

It also helps when you see a new poster has given themself the solution when it should have gone to someone else.

So Unread posts are my way of checking on 'everything'...pretty much LOL

Edited to add: Some people rely heavily on notifications. I never read them at all. No point if I read every unread post.

Well I used a combination of notifications plus reading every new topic posted each day. I relied on notifications for posts on threads I'm subscribed to and the new topics for all the posts I'm not subscribed to. That way I also never missed anything and learned quite a bit.

Now it's a bit like a game of cat and mouse. And not a game I'm enjoying very much!!

But with notifications hit and miss, I'll have to read all the unread posts too and check messages as I'm not receiving emails for PMs as and when they're sent; in some cases no notifications for PMs at all.

I knew there was a reason why I didn't read unread posts and used a combination of notifications and new topics. Just went to unread posts and every one took me to the very begining of the thread, including threads I'd already read and even my own threads that I set up. I hardly need to start at the beginning of my own threads!!

Oh this is going to be fun, not!!

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 29 of 41

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25166 Posts
  • 812 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I should`ve added that, in my opinion, one of the problems with pms is that the receiver may not be aware that s/he has a pm.

The sender has to check sent pms, click to see if read.

This could potentially, particularly to those who are are new and not aware, be taken to mean the pm has been ignored - when that is not the case...

As I said, a numbering against pms would, in my opinion, go some way to addressing this...

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 30 of 41