Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google pixel 6

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I was just looking at the gp6 Pro on another website. Besides all the usual features it has an outstanding astrophotography mode for a mobile phone.

So anyway the main sensor is a 50 megapixel octo pd quad Bayer setup. Which to be honest I had to look up.

https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/e/products/IS/mobile/autofocus.html

So in a way it is a better camera phone to buy  if you don't need the telephoto zoom or high resolution pixel binning of 108 megapixel.

Something for me to think about when I upgrade next 

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35768 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions

Do search here for the model first, @anticpated - the Pixel 6 has had issues with voice calls and WiFi vs. 5g signal stability up until recently. Capturing photos is all well and good - but its prime purpose, making and receiving calls, has been a bit trouble-ridden by some accounts. (PS. Typed on a Pixel 4a!)

Message 2 of 5

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

To be fair I rather would get an xperia pro-i which is all about the cameras. Then has the convenience of a phone.

But I was merely curious as if I do get into astrophotography it will be using a dedicated camera. Nothing mega expensive just a good interchangeable lens combo.

Message 3 of 5

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions

@anticpated 

Avoid the Pixel 6 series as they are suffering from Google's inability to have a phone actually act as a phone

The Xperia Pro-I is amazing and i have used mine to film Rugby from the stands and take photos. 

Just get a Olympus OM-5 MK3 and you will be sorted

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 5

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

To be honest, I am aiming for a good bridge camera which I will use along with a tripod and ND Filters wherever necessary. Meanwhile in a parallel universe I would buy a midrange mirrorless camera from Sony, Fuji or Canon.

I mean don't get me wrong the Samsung S21 Ultra is good for a phone but the x10 telephoto lens is far from ideal especially for finite detail of focal points like birds, mountains.  Without software sharpening it perhaps is not always the best.

Xiaomi and Huawei are making great camera lens setups for their range of flagships but no 5G is a bit of a deal breaker for some. Whilst the Sony Xperia Pro-I or the next sensor that they are producing for mobile ironically don't really advetise. Probably because their catering for a different crowd rather than social media tiktokers.

Message 5 of 5