cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going abroad with Iphone - what do I turn off??

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,
Sorry if this appears on another thread but I have tried searching using various sentances and just get a load of other stuff.
I am going to Northern Cyprus next week on hols and have an Iphone 3g (purchased second hand and using an O2 simplicity sim with unlimited web bolt on). Although I want to be able to phone home and check on the kids/dogs I am terrified that I will get a massive data roaming charge as have facebook notifications coming through left right and centre!
I'm not sure if there is wifi where we are staying but if there is then I will use that but otherwise happy not to go on facebook/ebay/emails whilst there.
What exactly do I need to turn off on my phone (and how)to stop getting any unexpected charges.
Any help greatly received as I am finding this a bit confusing.
Thank you
JulieMac
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi. You just need to check that 'Data Roaming' is turned off.
You can find it under Settings > General > Network > Data Roaming
You'll still be able to use wi-fi if it's available, but there won't be any mobile data roaming charges.
Message 2 of 3

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
Ok
1 Turn Data roaming off (but there is a flaw in this) EG viewtopic.php?f=25&t=52425&hilit=bill+shock
2 In ios 4 or above turn cell data off as well
3 In ios3 you need to modify the 3 apn's (info in my Links)
4 Disable voice mail before leaving the uk 1760 (1750 on return) Reason http://getsatisfaction.com/o2/topics/o2 ... ile_abroad
Hope that helps
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 3