Did you mean: 

Forum Filter (Fit for purpose?!)

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Martin-O2 @LukasB @TheresaV 

When I joined this forum in 2013 we had a forum filter which I understood was to stop swear words being posted. Such as the F word and the C word. Fair enough. Then we supposedly developed the filter so it removed email addresses, links and telephone numbers.

That has never worked. We still have to remind people to remove these to avoid being spammed.

However in terms of so called swear words, I think this forum should be moved into the 21st century.

On todays Word Hunt Diamond we had perfectly acceptable words removed by this filter. A few examples.

I wrote ****** (F L A N G E)  it was removed. This word means a piece of metal which holds on a tailpipe of a car or plane. . (It is also slang for the female VULVA)

****** F A G  or F A G E N D  I've had to space them so they won't be filtered out. Slang terms for a cigarette

If I say I'm going outside for a f a g it does NOT mean I'm off to engage in some sort of sexual activity male on male.

******IN F A G I N Also filtered out. Charles Dickins wrote about this man and I'm damn sure there was no-one there to filter that out!! It also means someone who pushes youngsters to steal.

I wrote about a MAINE ****** cat. C O O N. A breed of cat. Filtered out. I can't remember the last time I heard that word used in relation to a black person!

Then we come on to the breed of birds. Called ****** T I T S

Why on earth cant we write

Blue ******

Coal ******

Marsh ******

Great ******

Willow ******

Instead of

Willowtits

Bluetits

Coaltits

Marshtits

Greattits

The forum filter stops us writing the correct name.

I don't think it allows **** C R A P  or BULL****** (B U L L ****** ) 

However, in the emoji box we have a pile of **** (so we can show a picture of it but we can't say it?

I'm not the only one who feels like this and others can feel free to add comments as they like but personally I'm sick to death of it and think the filter needs updating.

I'm NOT asking the forum filter to allow a swear fest. What I'm asking is some common sense.

That's all!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Can you lot stop using words I have to look up please. 😉 I learn something new everyday here.

Mais oui, certainement 😲😎😆

Seems our Forum's **bleep**-word Filter's Fine.

And yeah, I have difficulty finding those ******* words in my thesaurus too, @Anonymous 🤣

Says Mr Wordy McWordface 😋

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 31 of 59

Projectionist
Level 12: Nimble
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

All this talk of avoiding the Forum Filter reminds me of my time as a Post Office clerk - in the 80's, when we had those annoying "Position Closed" signs, and we had to move a queue from the middle of the counter to either of the end positions we'd (very occasionally) say "far queue, please".

Only one guy ever got the joke, and he nearly laughed his head off......

Using Pixel 4 ( O2 + 1pMobile) , Samsung E1182 ( geosim + dtac)
Message 32 of 59

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35213 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

In the infamous words of one of the first multi-user games I ever played, VAXMUD (based on Colossal Cave):

YOU ARE IN A LITTLE MAZE OF TWISTY PASSAGES, ALL ALIKE.

YOU ARE IN A MAZE OF TWISTY LITTLE PASSAGES, ALL ALIKE.

YOU ARE IN A TWISTY LITTLE MAZE OF PASSAGES, ALL ALIKE.

YOU ARE IN A TWISTY MAZE OF LITTLE PASSAGES, ALL ALIKE.

Aaargh no colour or font formatting on mobile either, out with the laptop - again! There, now edited on the latptop just look at the difference, rich formatting commands, a delight to use - until you switch to mobile *** <- F F S (and I mean it!)!

2021-08-22 10_38_17-Re_ Forum Filter (Fit for purpose_!) - Page 2 - O2 Community.png

IE. We shall have to enquire, @Cleoriff - I had not hitherto seen it bleep-out "F E C K"...

Message 33 of 59

pgn
  • 35213 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Far queue, I like it 🤣 @Projectionist 

Like the Barista version: "You for coffee?" 😱😎

Message 34 of 59

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@pgn  It's Fekin it allows through. Probably due to it being a made up word. 🤣

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 35 of 59

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Projectionist wrote:

All this talk of avoiding the Forum Filter reminds me of my time as a Post Office clerk - in the 80's, when we had those annoying "Position Closed" signs, and we had to move a queue from the middle of the counter to either of the end positions we'd (very occasionally) say "far queue, please".

Only one guy ever got the joke, and he nearly laughed his head off......

Excellent @Projectionist 😆

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 36 of 59

pgn
  • 35213 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Got to laugh - I am responding to this thread:

Screenshot_20210822-124658.png

And what does the Forum put in as a "Related Content" suggestion beneath my response box?

PSX_20210822_124350.jpg

The expression "No ykw, Sherlock!" comes to mind. 🙄🤣 

Message 37 of 59

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just did at test...

C/R/A/P and F L A N G E [without / or spaces] don`t get thru the filter in New Look forum...

The two words which were mentioned at the start of this thread and two which I thought were going to be accepted - but obviously the info didn`t / hasn`t reached the platform provider team.  

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 38 of 59

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

Just did at test...

C/R/A/P and F L A N G E [without / or spaces] don`t get thru the filter in New Look forum...

The two words which were mentioned at the start of this thread and two which I thought were going to be accepted - but obviously the info didn`t / hasn`t reached the platform provider team.  

It's nothing to do with the platform provider @Mi-Amigo. When I sent my PM to Martin with the words I thought should be allowed, he said they (the managers) do it. They can update the filter when we raise something like this IF they agree with the words we want to be allowed. He didn't think there would be too much trouble with MOST of the words I suggested in my PM. I simply think with everything else going on, it's been forgotten.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 39 of 59

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @Cleoriff for clarifying the updating of the forum filter. I didn`t know that, if the managers agree, they can allow words.

I hope the list of words which were submit to be allowed is accepted and forum filter adjusted to allow these words as soon as possible.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 40 of 59