cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fire phone - A review

Anonymous
Not applicable

4 Stars.

I have just upgraded to the Fire from a mid-range smartphone. That means that I cannot contrast with the higher range devices like I-Phones, Galaxy etc. etc. What I can say is that the difference in build quality and performance is huge. The phone is really responsive and the screen resolution is superb. The ergonomics have been well thought out, using small motions of the phone to control various menus. It is not just showing off type gimmicks but useful features. The firefly feature is pretty neat even if it is basically another way of recieving amazon advertising. The music recognition is handy. The camera is very good giving crisp and clear pictures using the dynamic perspective. Overall the phone performs well using various haptic and dynamic gizmos.

There is a caveat: the appstore. Some reviewers have been outraged about this, but my experience was not as bad. This is not actually a major issue in my opinion. The proprietry restrictions placed by amazon are annoying but apple are no better in this respect. The difference is that the amazon app store is truly dire. However, download the aptoid app from the browser and you will be able to download the vast majority of android apps. This allowed me to personlise the phone with my banking, travelling and weather apps etc. So annoying but easily overcome.

Overall this is defintely a high spec. smart phone at a very competitive price, as long as you are not too worried about all the subliminal marketing.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your review on the Amazon Fire Phone.

Glad you liked it. 😄
Message 2 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149953 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28564 Solutions
Nice to hear some genuine user thoughts.
Thank you for taking the time to review it for us.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 126378 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

Thank you for your review. I must admit it's good to hear you found a way round the restricted apps with the aptoid app (which I haven't heard mentioned before)

Thanks for posting. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for an interesting unique review, wasn't too sure myself when they announced it
Message 5 of 11

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Great review @Anonymous and welcome to the community slight_smile

Its interesting to hear some views on the app store

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 6 of 11

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey @Anonymous thanks for your review and welcome to the community! Nice to hear you liked this phone.

I find the music recognition feature interesting. slight_smile

Message 7 of 11

jonsie
  • 94353 Posts
  • 611 Topics
  • 7033 Solutions

Thanks for the review,  it's good to read your thoughts. I had a play with one in CPW and was impressed with the build quality though using a Note 4 found comparison a little lacking. 

A good user experience but the lack of apps is disappointing. 

Message 8 of 11

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi jonsie,

In which main ways did you personally find the Note 4 superior out of interest? Although I do know you like that one a lot slight_smile
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 9 of 11

jonsie
  • 94353 Posts
  • 611 Topics
  • 7033 Solutions

@Toby wrote:
Hi jonsie,

In which main ways did you personally find the Note 4 superior out of interest? Although I do know you like that one a lot slight_smile

Where to sta@toby . ..

Speed, memory,  apps, quality, functions etc

Maybe a review is needed,  time permitting...

Message 10 of 11