Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum lines issue when upgrading

Duckman
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, very much aware this is a customer led community and not staffed by O2 but just wanted to explain an issue I have and see if anyone else has had it or has had it rectified.

I have 8 lines on my account (mine plus various family member phones, 2 tablets and a watch) and this appears to be the maximum number of pay monthly contracts you can have (or at least my personal limit). I never miss a bill or anything like that and I have had 8 lines for at least four or so years now and have never had any issues upgrading but have never been able to get any additional lines which seams reasonable since I already have probably upwards of £8,000 combined across the CCAs. However, now when I wish to upgrade via Switch Up (or any upgrade in general) I am met with the following -

"When we looked at your application we noticed you've reached the maximum number of Pay Monthly contracts we can allow at any one time, so at the moment we're not able to let you have any more mobiles. Sorry."

This doesn't make any sense to me as I am adding no additional lines, just upgrading an existing one so I have 8 lines now and would have 8 lines after the upgrade. I have had this issue in store, online and over the phone. Webchat were unable to assist as they are unable to do Switch Up. I have tried to explain over the phone, webchat, Facebook and in store and no one seems to know what I could do other than the standard "wait three months and try again" message that accompanies the maximum line message, but the manager of the store did say he had seen a few people with this issue. I feel like I am now stuck with the phones I have and will simply never be able to upgrade again.

Any ideas or similar experiences from anyone?

(I am aware of the Complaint Review Service but have been advised there is a long turnaround currently and I'd ideally like the new Pixel while I can get the larger storage for cheaper)

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11312 Posts
  • 62 Topics
  • 3153 Solutions

@Duckman 

The problem is now they do credit checks on upgrades including SwitchUps on all customers, and that is both and internal as well as external.. 

I think your only options are to 

1. contact credit referrals - creditrefferals@telefonica.com (think I have spelt that right, as quick search on here may give you right address)

2. wait the 8 weeks for the Complaints team to come back you, I would hope it could be quicker..

They might throw the T&C's at you just be aware...

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 2 of 6

Duckman
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I can appreciate that to an extent but the full message is -

"Unfortunately there's a problem with your application.

Thanks for applying for a new contract on O2.

As well as our credit scoring system, we use business policies to assess all new applications.

When we looked at your application we noticed you've reached the maximum number of Pay Monthly contracts we can allow at any one time, so at the moment we're not able to let you have any more mobiles. Sorry.

We'll be happy to look at your application for another contract in 3 months' time.

Just so you know, your credit rating wasn't affected."

It just seems very oddly worded and more of an oversight with the system than a credit issue as it doesn't even seem to have searched for me (no soft credit checks showing, I also did this a couple of months ago with the same result and no soft check from then either). I assume what is happening is the internal credit check looks to see if they would accept me, see's I have the max amount of lines and then rejects the "new" line as I have 8 already despite this not really being a new line. This is of course just a guess but no one seems to be able to tell me otherwise. Just seems frustrating that I'm going to have to slowly move away from them as each contract finishes as they won't let me upgrade. 

Thank you though,

Message 3 of 6

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11312 Posts
  • 62 Topics
  • 3153 Solutions

The problem you may have with moving away with 8 lines as a consumer is getting one of the other networks to accept 8 lines on one account, as I know EE, Voda and 3 have limits on consumer contracts, and as a new customer on those networks you may need to start with 1 and then very slowly add more, but I have a feeling you will run into the same issue.. 

It might be worth getting a cheap sim only on one of them and seeing what happens as you build a relationship and account history with them..

Good Luck

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 4 of 6

Duckman
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yeah that makes sense, I can appreciate that it's quite a lot to have but I passed the credit check on each one and my situation hasn't changed so it seems silly to just block me from changing the phones.

I could now simply let my family members take their own out as and when the contract ends with O2 so I would probably only need 2 lines for myself anyway.

Thanks for your assistance,

Message 5 of 6

Oxonian
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 9007 Posts
  • 203 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

@madasaf1sh wrote:

@Duckman 

The problem is now they do credit checks on upgrades including SwitchUps on all customers, and that is both and internal as well as external.. 

I think your only options are to 

1. contact credit referrals - creditrefferals@telefonica.com (think I have spelt that right, as quick search on here may give you right address)

2. wait the 8 weeks for the Complaints team to come back you, I would hope it could be quicker..

They might throw the T&C's at you just be aware...

According to other posts on this forum, the email address is :-

creditfilereferrals@telefonica.com 

or

amendmentteam@o2.com 

Message 6 of 6