cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Femtocells

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys,

I live in a fairly rural part of the UK and although the area is supposed to have O2 coverage, it is in fact pretty dire here. I am tied onto o2 for another 13 months with my iPhone and unless something is done by o2 to sort the signal out I will be voting with my feet next June.
Last year o2 & vodafone trialled 'Femtocell' technology. This is an internet based plug in tx/rx device which is stand alone and provides internet based mobile phone coverage inside buildings where there is insufficient signal from normal sources. Vodafone have embraced it and people are now getting the full benefit of full 3G phone signal in their homes/offices.
Where is the o2 version?
I know I'm a little bitter having been a Vodafone customer for many years, leaving just before they announced that they were getting iPhone, but surely o2 are embracing this technology as the o2 signal outside major towns everywhere appears to be generally poorer than my previous provider.
Does anyone have any thought on this and does anyone know if there are any plans for Femtocell technology to appear on the o2 books in the near future?
Message 1 of 100
99 REPLIES 99

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
and now 3 have launched there version
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 91 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
I like O2 trials - it usually means 'this is the last you will hear of this one.' grin
Maybe sarcastic (but with an element of truth)
Message 92 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
and now 3 have launched there version

but only as a retention tool. They are not going on general sale to everyone. Why anyone would want to be retained by Three is anyone's guess though!!
Message 93 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been trying to get on the trial, as I can't get reception at home for about 40% of the time. My wife's iphone signal is even worse.
Trying to get through Customer Service is impossible - all they say is 'wipe the sim card and reinsert it' or our map shows you should have a good signal.
If we can't get on the trial, O2 will lose 2 customers come December.
Message 94 of 100

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions
Are O2 charging for this? or planning to.
Would it work with a MVNO on O2's network eg Tesco or GiffGaff or Just O2?
iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 95 of 100

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
Are O2 charging for this? or planning to.
Would it work with a MVNO on O2's network eg Tesco or GiffGaff or Just O2?

O2 have made no announcements at all.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 96 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have sent an official complaint to O2 regarding the lack of signal to my house when on the signal, or coverage checker it shows that there should be a good signal. I get no signal at all in my house unless it is placed in one or two awkward positions, and even then the moment I touch the phone it goes to 'No Service'.

My neigbour has Vodaphone's Sure Signal and it works amazingly well. I want O2 to supply me with their trial unit (or other solution) otherwise I will have to challenge them firmly and with persistence on their supposed good service status to my location.

Like others, I simply can't justify spending £37 per month for a non existent service and they will most likely loose a very loyal customer who has spent thousands with them over the years.

Message 97 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the crazy world of O2, I purchased two new phones from O2 about 18 months ago and they have never worked properly where I live or work due to a non existent signal. After 18 months of complaining and eventually emailing Ronan Dunne, the CEO, they have agreed to cancel my contract and waiver all charges. I spend £60/month with O2 and they wanted me to pay £150+VAT for a Femtocell to have the privilege of receiving the service I thought I was paying for. I bet the Femtocells do not cost O2 more than £50 each to purchase, but they prefer to lose a loyal customer of 20 years rather than free issue a Femtocell to me. I am off to 3 which has an excellent signal in my area, plus if there are problems they issue Femtocells for customer retention.

Message 98 of 100

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome to the crazy world of O2, I purchased two new phones from O2 about 18 months ago and they have never worked properly where I live or work due to a non existent signal. After 18 months of complaining and eventually emailing Ronan Dunne, the CEO, they have agreed to cancel my contract and waiver all charges. I spend £60/month with O2 and they wanted me to pay £150+VAT for a Femtocell to have the privilege of receiving the service I thought I was paying for. I bet the Femtocells do not cost O2 more than £50 each to purchase, but they prefer to lose a loyal customer of 20 years rather than free issue a Femtocell to me. I am off to 3 which has an excellent signal in my area, plus if there are problems they issue Femtocells for customer retention.

Third identical post! Smiley Frustrated

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 99 of 100

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 94071 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

Dragging older posts up does nothing except puts any replies all over the place and cut and pasting posts in different threads is a little pointless.

Message 100 of 100