cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does 3G handset make any difference surfing with simplicity

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, pardon my general ignorance,

I'm finally upgrading to a netphone (dumping my ancient basic handset)
and thinking of getting the SIM only Simplicity deal (unlimited data bolt on etc)

I intend to buy my own unlocked handset.

Will it make a real difference to my web-surfing experience on Simplicity if i get a '3G capable' handset (thinking Nokia E63) rather than a '2G capable' handset (such as Blackberry Curve)?

Sorry, but i don't really understand what really determines the data rate you are likely to get (i.e. the service or the handset)

Thanks if you can help
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
think of 2g as your old dialup modem on your pc and 3g as Broadband as a comparison

So a 2g handset will be very slow on the web a 3g enabled one in a 3g area will be much faster.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I should perhaps have made it clear, i'm won't be buying a 'posh' '3G' handset such as an iphone...
but i'm choosing between the cheaper end handsets, such as the lower spec blackberrys versus the Nokia E63.

I'm just wondering if the '3G capable' claim of the Nokias will really make a difference in data rate for ordinary surfing as compared to the Blackberry when using Simplicity.
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
think of 2g as your old dialup modem on your pc and 3g as Broadband as a comparison
So a 2g handset will be very slow on the web a 3g enabled one in a 3g area will be much faster.

Aha, so it really may be worth me getting the Nokia E63. As it happens it seems to retail below £100 pounds (less than most blackberrys), but is definitely defined as '3G capable' in the spec.
Looks like a no brainer within my price range.
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

How is O2's 3G coverage as compared to other networks? I'm mostly in London.....I've ruled out Tmobile and Virgin as most people say these are lousy...
Message 5 of 7

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
cannot comment live in somerset
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I should perhaps have made it clear, i'm won't be buying a 'posh' '3G' handset such as an iphone...
but i'm choosing between the cheaper end handsets, such as the lower spec blackberrys versus the Nokia E63.

I'm just wondering if the '3G capable' claim of the Nokias will really make a difference in data rate for ordinary surfing as compared to the Blackberry when using Simplicity.

Except on a Blackberry, it isn't that much faster! I use GPRS when at home (it's the area I live in) and to be honest, it is tolerable to use. Whilst out and about, 3G is good obviously faster but if your main aim is emails/messenger, you can't beat the BB! General surfing, well the BB browser is useable but don't expect too much.

Looks like another thing i need to look into is who has the best 3G coverage. I've been with O2 for years, but i notice the vodafone SIM-only has EVEN MORE minutes and texts and 500gig data that can be boosted. If they have better 3G they may get my custom, at least for 12 months.
I have noticed a bit of grumbling about O2's 3G coverage here....but that clogging up may be happening everywhere as everyone races into 3G netphones.
Message 7 of 7