Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data security

Ian128
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

How likely is it that some kind of security breach has occurred?

A recent SCAM call had information about me that I seriously consider to be from within O2 itself.

SPECIFICALLY:-

Name, address, D.O.B, email, bank sort code and account number. Also reference to a SIM plan that I had changed back in MAY2021.

Is it normal for this level of disclosure on a call from (allegedly) O2?

Is it normal to be told (I am stopping the call recording) prior to disclosing my bank details?

Is it normal to declare this offer valid only for today?

From the outset I had NO doubts this was a scammer, my issue is with the level of personal data they had and from WHERE IT CAME.

Lets all thrash this out as I need convincing this is not a data leak from within O2.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

TR11
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

oh how funny you are! I suggest you update your knowledge.
Data Breach is taken very seriously once raised! 

All boxes for 3rd party were unticked. 

ICO is next, I have found they are usually more than helpful when contacted. 
strange you say that about Ofcom because after speaking with them this morning, they have sent full details for a complaint as they have in the past when there was an issue with BT. 
And on another point the number with O2 is only used for family contact and never disclosed to any third party! 

O2 does have issues, this thread, I didn’t tick the box to receive an email for a reply to the thread, yet I am getting an email!? Strange that!

The member of staff earlier today along with the other staff I have spoken to since October didn’t know anything regarding current Data protection and one wasn’t aware it had changed in 2018. Seriously when they’re working with confidential data?
about time O2 did some staff training then they may not get such a high staff turnover.
Now Virgin are involved it will only get worse!  

Message 11 of 12

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10168 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3010 Solutions

I know my knowledge thank you.  

OFCOM do not investigate data breaches or individual customer complaints, they will investigate I think it is more than 100, and OFCOM will have shared a bulk complaint. 

Data protection - Ofcom

Sales calls - Ofcom

Both point you to the ICO, who are another toothless regulator... 

Most frontline staff in 99% of organisations do not understand GDPR or Data Protection, and 99.9999% of the general public don't either to be honest, the only people that do are the Data Protection Officers, and Lawyers. 

Maybe if they didn't get abused by members of the public who tell them how to do their job they would have a lower turnover of staff. 

My advice contact the Data Protection Officer at o2 (details can be found here) and take it from there you might find they pass it to the ICO themselves.. 

Requesting your personal data from O2 | Help & Support | O2  Has the email addresses to use. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 12 of 12