Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Retention

Thirteenthhour
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have been with O2 for well over 10 years. I have recently had a PAYG sim because I was living in another country. I'm now back in the UK and ready to sign another monthly contract.

I see online everywhere that when you are renewing your contract you have power to haggle with the phone company rates, because you can obviously go elsewhere. I called o2, got through to customer retention and told them that I had been a customer for many years, but I was seeing better deals available, so I wanted my PAC code.

They asked what other offers I had seen and I told them the details of current offers from other providers... then they just said "okay", and gave me my PAC code. They didn't attempt to negotiote at all. I was just hoping to get thoughts on this.

Of course, I am prepared to move networks, and I can get better deals, but I have had no issues with o2 and would have been happy to stay if they had improved their offer at all for a long-term customer. Just seems like bad service from o2.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Thirteenthhour No one gets any special treatment off O2 anymore.

Their mantra is "fair deal for all" so everyone, new or old, are offered the same deals.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

Thirteenthhour
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I understand. It seems pointless having a customer retentions department if they are not prepared to offer anything other than the advertised tariffs though.

Message 3 of 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Thirteenthhour  By all means switch providers if you can get a better deal, but check the coverage you will get in the places you frequent most before you make the change. A good deal is worthless if you don't have good coverage. Try the Pay & Go sims from the other networks before you make your move.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 12

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Thirteenthhour wrote:

I understand. It seems pointless having a customer retentions department if they are not prepared to offer anything other than the advertised tariffs though.

O2 call then the "recontract" team rather than "retentions" and they will occasionally offer small discounts but it does depend heavily on average monthly spend and length of contract. 

A PAYG customer is unlikely to meet that criteria.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 12

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I would be shopping around for the best deal you can get. Before trying another network, get free sims from their website to make sure you get the same coverage as O2.

Loyalty these days is totally pointless.

Message 6 of 12

bassplayer
  • 25 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

That doesn’t make it right though!

Message 7 of 12

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@bassplayer wrote:

That doesn’t make it right though!

I agree totally but it's the world we live in. None of the big companies care. You change gas or electric when you've paid them a fortune, do they care. Not a bit. You get through to retentions for any network, Sky or Virgin, it all depends on the individual you speak to. No magic formulae at all.

Message 8 of 12

jezza1234
Level 12: Nimble
  • 339 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 7 Solutions
  • As others have said O2 won’t offer incentives to stay. They ask you why you want to leave so they can track churn reasons. As a current PAYG  customer you are unlikely to get any discount. I look every time my upgrade is due and quite honestly O2 offers reasonably good value, don’t continue to charge you for your phone even when your minimum term is up, and offer flexibility on when you can pay off your device and give you the opportunity to pay extra. No they are not perfect but then other networks have their issues too. Often the grass looks greener but invariably never is. I am a huge believer in “you get what you pay for”. 
Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your post @Thirteenthhour 

Welcome to the community Welcome

Message 10 of 12