Did you mean: 

Can’t pre-order iPhone 16 for switch up without handing over phone

hollandaise
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi!

Read on here a few days ago the process for Switch Up to the new iPhone 16 should be straight forward. Visit the store, pay £50 and return on release day or when your phone arrives in store and switch up. 

I visited my local store today only to be told this is not the case. They advised all customers that if you pre-ordered today you need to give them your current handset today. This obviously means having no handset until release day. They checked with another store who confirmed the same. 

I believe this is different to how it worked previously with the iPhone 15 launch. How come? 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11499 Posts
  • 63 Topics
  • 3159 Solutions

@hollandaise 

Never heard that one, so it is a new one on me... 

When I have done pre-orders they have taken the deposit, and said see you when it comes in to do the actual paperwork and SwitchUp...  

Lots of others have done the same...

@Kei-M_O2  has this changed as never heard of this , and this is a change in a long standing policy...

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 2 of 12

Kei-M_O2
  • 91 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Customers should be asked for their old phone when they go to pickup their new phone. Alternatively, if you order online we'll send you a jiffy bag that you use to send your old phone back after you've received your new phone.

Can you let me know which store you visited? I'll ask someone to speak to them.

Thanks,

Message 3 of 12

madasaf1sh
  • 11499 Posts
  • 63 Topics
  • 3159 Solutions

@hollandaise 

Can you let Kei know the stores involved slight_smile 

--
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
Message 4 of 12

Benlfc
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 354 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Kei-M_O2 the same has happened with me, it seems the process is now different to what it used to be. As these are pre orders and none of the stores have the stock your staff in stores are going through the ordering process on their computers (which is exactly the same as a customer does at home), the staff are then ticking the option of switching up through the post as suppose to in store and then answering the condition questionnaire and telling us all that we have to post it off once we collect our new phones whenever they arrive, they’re telling us if they tick the in store option instead of through the post then they’ll have to take our phones off us when pre ordering. Someone on the mega thread for the new iPhones talk like they work for O2 (although they haven’t confirmed that when asked) and apparently this is now the process for pre orders as the stock is not available in the stores yet 

Message 5 of 12

Benlfc
  • 354 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I have spoken with a number of stores this morning and the process for switch up and pre orders is now you have to send the phone off for grading once your pre ordered phone (whatever brand that is) is either home delivered or collected from store. If the store had the stock that’s when they would do it there and then but now with pre orders it’s the above. They can perform the switch up there and then but you would then be without a phone whilst you wait for your pre ordered one to arrive. I would recommend when packaging up your current phone to send away, write your name, date and time on a piece of paper, along with the IMEI number of the phone and then video it and take pictures and include the written information on the piece of paper in the videos/photos, if you have the original box use it and wrap the hell out of it in bubble wrap. If you then do get any surprises with the switch up grading you have all the evidence you need to argue it. It’s annoying though as the sole reason I went into a store was because of the information we were given in the Q&A’s at the beginning of the mega thread for the new apple products.

Q. Can I use 02 Switch Up on the new iPhone?

A. O2 Switch Up is available from pre-order online and in store. Customers who order online will need to send their old phone back when they receive their new phone. Customers who visit a retail store will be asked for their old phone when they collect their new iPhone.

Message 6 of 12

Oxonian
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 9124 Posts
  • 209 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

@Benlfc 

I am confused. You say :-

I have spoken with a number of stores this morning and the process for switch up and pre orders is now you have to send the phone off for grading once your pre ordered phone (whatever brand that is) is either home delivered or collected from store.

That seems to suggest that you old 'phone is retained until you collect your pre-ordered replacement from the O2 retail store ?   

Message 7 of 12

Kei-M_O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 91 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

If you can tell me which stores you've visited then I'm happy to make sure they understand the correct process that they should be using when pre-ordering via Switch Up.

Message 8 of 12

madasaf1sh
  • 11499 Posts
  • 63 Topics
  • 3159 Solutions

Think @Benlfc 

Think this is aimed at your good self, if you can let Kei know as then he can get this nipped in the bud 

--
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
Message 9 of 12

Benlfc
  • 354 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Oxonian it doesn’t suggest that at all, you’ve read it wrong or not looked back through this thread.

We have all been told in this community that if you pre order in store for click and collect then your current phone will be taken from you when you collect your new phone. When I placed my pre order in store on Friday for click and collect I was told that they could only grade in store if they took my phone off me there and then which in turn leaves me without a phone for a week, longer if things go wrong, if I wanted to keep my current phone till the pre order arrived then I’d have to send in through the post. Told the store that this wasn’t the information I had been given hence why I came to the store and was told things have been changed. I then called other stores to confirm if this was the case or whether it was just the store I went to and was told the same.

Message 10 of 12