cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband assistant not working

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, yesterday my Internet wouldn't connect at all. As per usual, I clicked on o2 broadband assistant (this always gets me through after either re-setting the router or re-setting my Belkin wireless adapter) but it just came up as a blank white square with the title on the top of it. The thing won't open. It seems the Belkin doesn't work (no green light on it) but windows says it's working properly in devices. I put in the o2 set up disk thinking I may be able to re-load this but that's the same. After whizzing for a while, it does nothing else. Not being a computer techie I thought I'd use system restore but discovered a message that said that shadow copy isn't working and there were no restore points. Also windows update isn't working with error 8204420F. This I've been trying to fix over the Internet. Microsoft help has a fault as well and won't load. The last thing I did was to try to load Microsoft "fixit" which got stuck halfway through. o2 can't remote my PC as the assist ain't there it seems. I'm running Windows Vista home edition 32 bit on an Acer computer. Any ideas?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146925 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28262 Solutions
Leave the main folder, ie c:windows\software distribution but delete all folders and files from within that location. Windows will rebuild the directory structure once it runs the update process again.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 11 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for you reply. Trouble is, I cant get online. I bought a new adapter as I said and it all loaded eventually but the PC wont /cant any networks so cant complete that part of the instillation. Bloody thing. I think it's knackered.

Message 12 of 12