cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband assistant not working

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, yesterday my Internet wouldn't connect at all. As per usual, I clicked on o2 broadband assistant (this always gets me through after either re-setting the router or re-setting my Belkin wireless adapter) but it just came up as a blank white square with the title on the top of it. The thing won't open. It seems the Belkin doesn't work (no green light on it) but windows says it's working properly in devices. I put in the o2 set up disk thinking I may be able to re-load this but that's the same. After whizzing for a while, it does nothing else. Not being a computer techie I thought I'd use system restore but discovered a message that said that shadow copy isn't working and there were no restore points. Also windows update isn't working with error 8204420F. This I've been trying to fix over the Internet. Microsoft help has a fault as well and won't load. The last thing I did was to try to load Microsoft "fixit" which got stuck halfway through. o2 can't remote my PC as the assist ain't there it seems. I'm running Windows Vista home edition 32 bit on an Acer computer. Any ideas?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146698 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28243 Solutions
Have you run a full virus and malware scan recently. Sounds like something is messing you up big time with all those issues.....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for answering. No I've not run a full scan. I've the McAfee on there along with spywareblaster and spybot search and destroy. I'll run a full scan with the Mc and search&destroy. Do you think they're any good?

Message 3 of 12

MI5
  • 146698 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28243 Solutions
I have my doubts about McAfee, but spybot is good. Let us know if anything shows up and we'll go from there.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 12

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
How are you getting on with this Bobrob?
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying. I remembered my son tinkered and removed Spybot S&D. I lugged all downstairs so could plug Ethernet cable into the router. Got Internet connection. I downloaded Spyboy S&D (must admit, I was impressed with the new graphics on it) from MajorGeeks and AVG anti virus. AVG found 1 issue and Spybot 46. After cleaning Internet wouldn't connect. My Belkin 54g adapter is working ok according to devices and needs no driver update. I'm wondering if the thing is knackered and am considering lashing out £20 or so for a new adapter. I'm looking on the work PC for solutions to the shadow copy and windows update not working. I've done services on "run" and made sure VC is set to automatic. I'm not sure why broadband assistant doesn't work. Trouble is, once I start poking around with things I'll probably bugger things up even more. Things seemed to go **bleep** up after trying to load Microsoft fix it. Even Ethernet connected it still wouldn't run fixit when I tried to download it again. Anyway, thanks for your interest. It's appreciated.

Message 6 of 12

MI5
  • 146698 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28243 Solutions
Updates failing problem may be fixed deleting all previous updates and retrying. Sometimes an update gets corrupted and the machine will stop updating saying something like "update service not running". I'd check this first and work through the issues one at a time as you have a few to sort out wink http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/cannot-run-windows-update-on-a-windows-7-pc/
Message 7 of 12

MI5
  • 146698 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28243 Solutions

Is this the FixIT you've been trying ?

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/

Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, that one and also FiXit centre from Microsoft. There seemed to be quite a few from a Bing search when I got online last night. It's weird really because my wife's laptop, which is running the same system of Windows Vista Home Premium, is suffering the same update error code. That managed to download the FiXit and it said that it had sorted that problem out when run,,,but hadn't. Also, there is an update history on her machine. I've checked and update (be it optional ones) are sitting there. Where as, the PC has no downloads at all.

Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a quick one. I might seem a bit thick, but on navigating to C: windows/software distribution, does one keep those 8 folders that are on that screen shot and empty all upon opening up or delete the main folder and its contents? I only ask as should they be kept for Windows to re-populate if this works and updates are all loaded again. Also, if one has deleted the previous updates and the error message still comes up after, have all the updates gone for good and the computer no longer has them?

Message 10 of 12