cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWARE - SMS becomes MMS without warning unless you adjust settings

Anonymous
Not applicable

Recently got an S4 to replace my beloved S2.  Was surprised to note that I had been charged for 4 text messages as MMS messages.  Discovered the reason - I was silly enough to include a "smiley" chosen from the provided list of options. After wading through Settings I found an option to display a warning when a bog standard SMS is going to be treated as MMS.   Typical O2 underhand dealing in my view.

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 126111 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7552 Solutions

Yes. Been taking advice about something to suit the eyesight and my fingers (which make constant mistakes

with a small keyboard) Crazy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 31 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have now set my S4 to warn me when SMS is about to be converted to MMS

However - I recently sent a long sms to 4 people at once. It was converted to MMS and yet there are no emoticons in it - just plain text - but 580 characters long.

So I got a bill of £1.33

I am on contract with unlimited texts.

Anyone any idea what the reasoning is behind this ?

Message 32 of 36

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149611 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions
SMS carries a 480 character limit. Anything over becomes an MMS.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 33 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

For clarity - I have set my phone to warn me AFTER this incident.

Message 34 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

That was quick !

Many thanks

Message 35 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you are using an S4 please also note that there is a new smily icon next to Sym on the keyboard. If you use those smileys (which are in colour) you will also be charged for mms.

There are Green smilys available. To access those go to the keyboard in texts and click on the button to the left of the menu key. A drop down will appear and you can select Green smileys from there that are not charged as mms.
Message 36 of 36