cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short code Balance 20202 not working because sent as +4420202. Tried +20202, worked but charged 55p!

Dav_Wil
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

From 2020/1 when track-and-trace sign in was required at venues and there was the possibility of individual Covid Passports being introduced I put O2 Classic 321 PAYG Sims with £10 credit in spare phones. These still have credit as rarely used.

From the phones sending a text Balance or BALANCE to 20202 has always failed, I suspect the same for other O2 short codes.

While using the phones a few days ago just within 180 days to keep every SIM live and retain the credit I looked at this and realised the phones were adding +44 so sending the short code +4420202. Hence the failure. What ever I tried I could not send just 20202.

Searching the internet I saw a suggestion to try +20202.

This worked and I received a reply detailing the SIM was 321 Classic BUT 55p was deducted from the SIM credit for what O2 clearly state should be a free SMS.

55p is the charge for an international SMS.

This could be charged for a contract SIM too depending on the contract.

I post this as a warning to others not to try putting '+' before the shortcode.

To check the balance keying

*#10# then ' call '

works returning the balance on screen without charge ( within the UK - never tried outside UK ).

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38248 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1729 Solutions

That +44 country code on short code numbers bug can be fixed in Android by uninstalling all updates to the phone's messaging app and then letting the phone reapply updates as needed, @Dav_Wil - both on PAYG or on Contract.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 148933 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28446 Solutions

Or just disable assisted dialling 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 3