cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWARE - SMS becomes MMS without warning unless you adjust settings

Anonymous
Not applicable

Recently got an S4 to replace my beloved S2.  Was surprised to note that I had been charged for 4 text messages as MMS messages.  Discovered the reason - I was silly enough to include a "smiley" chosen from the provided list of options. After wading through Settings I found an option to display a warning when a bog standard SMS is going to be treated as MMS.   Typical O2 underhand dealing in my view.

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149611 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions
Any phone that has a smiley keyboard built in or installed from an app. The emoticons are actually pictures and they attach to the sms in the same way as if you were to attach a picture from your camera etc so the phone see's it as an mms.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 21 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fell for this too, always had a few free mms as part of contract. Upgraded to 4G unlimited mins, texts. Used phone same as previous sony handset which also had smileys in keyboard never got charged before but suddenly did with new Samsung. Checked with O2 because I upgraded to 4G it's classed as new contract so no more allowance of free mms they don't do that bundle now. So if your currently not charged for mms and use them regularly make sure you don't change your contract. Now I have this information I can at least understand why my bill varies on an unlimited contract.
Message 22 of 36

MI5
  • 149611 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions
You can get a bolt on for £5 a month.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 23 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 126111 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7552 Solutions

So...a bit confused about this now?

I have a S3 and when I do a text I can add a smiley by bringing up those already installed on phone

(Left hand side) ...would I be charged for a MMS if I used these? (already built in to S3)

I admit I haven't used them much as they are a bit rubbish in my opinion Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 36

jonsie
  • 94099 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

No, the smilies on the s3 normal messaging app count as 3 characters and you aren't charged mms for these. Some of the smilies on the keypads on the S4 or emoji are classed as pictures and chaged accordingly.

Message 25 of 36

MI5
  • 149611 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions
In the message app, pull up the menu then settings. Scroll down and you will see an option to tick "warm me when converting to MMS"
If any sms tries to convert to mms the phone will show a pop up to warn you.
Message 26 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 126111 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7552 Solutions

Thanks for that both of you....see I have had this phone a year now...and still learn new stuff Smiley Embarassed

(God help us all when I get a new one next year Bouncy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 27 of 36

jonsie
  • 94099 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Thanks for that both of you....see I have had this phone a year now...and still learn new stuff Smiley Embarassed

(God help us all when I get a new one next year Bouncy

You know where we are:smileywink:Smiley LOL

Message 28 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 126111 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7552 Solutions

Well you need to get proficient in the Note range then....as that is my choice at present Cat

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 29 of 36

jonsie
  • 94099 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions
Message 30 of 36